iTunes/Big Brother

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Poppey, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Poppey macrumors newbie

Poppey

I have finally reached the end with iTunes. Having just purchased a new iPod (the last one I purchased, a Classic, had an inherent fault experienced by, from what I have gathered, many other purchasers, otherwise I would not have had to purchase a new one!) I have tried to transfer my music over to the new one.

Apple is having none of it. Even though I have purchased the music, Apple appear to think they can prevent me from transferring the music I have purchased (which I wouldn't have had to do if their Classic hadn't kept breaking down), thus (excuse the language, please) screwing me twice. I even went to the trouble of visiting one of their tec's at an Apple Store. After repeating the problem to him for the fourth time (I appeared to know my way around an iPod more than he did) I have come to the conclusion that Apple is a spent force. Why! It seems to have believed its own publicity to the extent that it doesn't train its people in technical matters any more and its products are, in some instances fault-ridden.

When a company becomes so large as to restrict every move one makes, it time to jump ship. Such a shame really, but I have never subscribed to Big Brother and Apple have reached the stage now where their dictats outweigh the benefits of their products. I just wonder how long it will take others to realise that Apple's indoctrination is but a smoke screen and there really are other products which do the job just as well, or even better in some cases.

Yes! I am hacked off at wasting so much time and money on products/advice from Apple that clearly were never going to work. No matter how much Apple try to stifle criticism people will always find a way...

My apologies at the length: So much anger at so much incompetence prevails.:mad::apple:

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Isn't the music on your computer? Why do you have to get it off the old iPod?

3. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

And that's your first and, thus far, only post to the forum, huh?

Perhaps if you posted differently, some of the knowledgable heads here could have helped you solve your problem, but instead you just come off like a troll.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Exactly. The music should be in iTunes, ready to move to any device. Especially if that music had been purchased through iTunes.

And a simple google search comes up with hits on how to get music off an iPod without iTunes...

5. dark-saito macrumors regular

Uhm...

Not to be rude at all, but I don't think its fair to blame a company for your failure to back up your music...

For instance, if you had a computer for Design purposes, and downloaded a bunch of adobe software, created projects with said programs, and then your computer crashed, it would not be fair at all to blame Adobe because you didn't back up your Programs or Projects.

Preaching aside, as mentioned already there are many programs you could use to pull your music from your iPod. There's even a way to nab it all from "My computer" if you know what you're doing. Granted, They'd all be named something like NDYG.mp3 but that would correct itself when you move it to iTunes. Just look for files within your iPod directory that are named F2 or any number after F. Hope that helped.

PS Apple is currently working with Record companies to allow re-downloads for already purchased music and movies.

6. AdrianK, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

If it is the case that you chose not to secure your library (ie keeping a backup), then yes, Apple owes you absolutely nothing. When you buy a song it costs Apple money to be able to deliver a song to you, part of price you pay goes towards their bandwidth. Some people have had success emailing Apple nicely and asking for them to allow them to download their purchased songs, from what I gather the response seems to be that it's a one-time-only deal.