iTunes blocks Macbook Pro shut down

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mksell, May 13, 2011.

1. mksell macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro 2011 i7 13' is up to date.
    I use a Kingston V100 SSD 256 GB.

It's been two or three days that if I start iTunes for listening music or synchronize to iPhone I can't shut off the MacBook. It gets stucked in the blue screen with the spinning wheel. So I have to force shut down with the power button.

I'm sure that is a iTunes issue because if I start the computer without iTunes, there is no problem.

Is there any iTunes' background process that keeps the Mac on?

I already update the programa (10.2.2) and made a new installation with no results.

Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried quitting iTunes before you attempt to shut down?

3. mksell thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, using Command Q ou via Activity Monitor.... No results.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're saying you can't shut down iTunes, even with Activity Monitor? You should be able to force quit it. Try Option+right-click on the Dock icon and select Force Quit.

5. mksell thread starter macrumors newbie

iTunes shuts down. But something related with iTunes prevents the MacBook to shut down.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How do you know it's related to iTunes? Check Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". You should be able to identify any process that isn't shutting down properly.

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I would Repair Disk Permissions and reinstall iTunes.

8. mksell thread starter macrumors newbie

The two situations:

1- Turn on the MacBook
    2 - I use various programs, but not iTunes.
    3- Shut Down MacBook with no issues, very fast.

The other side:

1-Turn on MacBook
    2- Use iTunes
    3- Quit iTunes
    4- Try to Shut Down MacBook, but no success, only Blue Screen with Spinning Wheel forever!

9. mksell thread starter macrumors newbie

Already Done. No results.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check Activity Monitor.

11. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

what happens if you

• boot into safe mode
    • run iTunes
    • quit iTunes
    • shut down

12. mksell thread starter macrumors newbie

After quit iTunes, the Monitor shows only iTunes Helper. I already terminate this process too, but no results.

Is there any other process related with iTunes?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After you quit iTunes and the helper, take screen captures of your Activity Monitor screen and post them here, so we can identify any process that might be related to your problem.

14. mksell thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try this...

15. mksell thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Even in Secure Mode, when I start iTunes and then Quit, macBook don't shut down.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Never heard of this before. Not normal.

Contact Apple for support.

17. mksell thread starter macrumors newbie

Today I formated my SSD and made a fresh install. It worked until I recovered the BackUp from Time Machine.

I'll contact Apple Support, but here in Brazil the things are a little difficult.

Thanks for all your help. If I fix this, I'll post here.

18. mksell thread starter macrumors newbie

A feedback:

I called AppleCare and all they told to do, I had already done with no results.

This includes a fresh install, reset SMC and PRAM, repair permissions, reinstall iTunes, verify disk, safe boot.

I think that is something related with the last updates of my MacBook, namely Mac Pro Software Update 1.4 and MacBook Pro EFI Update 2.1.released May 5th.

This week I'll install Mac Os 10.7 in this MacBook. Let's see what happen...

19. Dim Pu macrumors newbie

Have you solved the issue? Did formatting or new installation help? I have absolutely the same problem right now.

20. Incagraphy macrumors newbie

i also stopped by Apple service centre and they are not aware of the problem. They suggested the same things suggested here and told me to reformat my Mac if they don't work. I am not comfortable doing that.

I went there because Office 2011 caused the problem. now I realize it's also with iTunes (started using it only last week).

I made sure I have Office's final update. how do we know about Mac's updates? Has there been one since this problem was up on this post (and in older other posts)?

21. praeto macrumors newbie

22. jloc macrumors newbie

I Tunes blocks Macbook Pro

It will not change anything. I have Lion 10.7.2 and have the same problem. It started about one week ago. Nothing I have done to Itunes settings have solved the problem. Somehow, Itunes changes permissions and the computer would only shutdown after doing Permissions repair. Terminal Command fcsk did not solve the issue either

----------

anyone with a solution (including apple) please revert

23. jloc macrumors newbie

Any yone, any developments ?????

24. FRees85 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I've experienced the same problem for quite some time as well.

I've read through the whole thread here, and I've gone through EXACTLY all the same steps described by everyone, apart from updating to OS X Lion. And now that I saw the comment on it not helping either, I won't bother updating (yet).

I'm afraid I can't contribute anything new, but if I come across anything I, obviously, will post it here. Hopefully someone will find a solution.

Cheers

25. FRees85 macrumors newbie

Alternative?

Hi again,

Since it seems that several people around the planet have encountered this problem, but no solution is forthcoming from Apple, or elsewhere, I wondered about alternative solutions: Not using iTunes (till the problem is solved).

I found this: http://getsongbird.com/

My opinion is that I'd prefer staying with iTunes, but this seems to be a reasonable alternative in order to avoid the shutdown hang-up.

SongBird provides the option of importing your entire iTunes library, which is a positive start, but I've yet to inspect it further. It also claims to have the ability to sync iPods, iPads, etc.

Thoughts, anyone?

Hope this may help, for the time being.

Cheers