iTunes Book Library Gone!

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
:mad:

When I got my macbook last year, I hated that iTune and iBooks were separate so I used the hack found her to get rid of iBooks so I can manage my books in iTunes.

Well, I just updated to Yosemite today and that trick no longer works. In fact, I had forgotten about it until I had already updated. Well, I've removed iBooks, but when I go to the new and ugly iTunes, I can't find the book tab.

Also, it seems my entire book library is gone. Maybe I'm not quite ready to face the facts or I'm glad I have Time Machine, but shouldn't I be panicking or something?:D

ETA:
I just checked my Itunes folder and my books are there. How do I get them back as they were?

Last edited:

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
You can't. iTunes 12 no longer has that ability. You must use iBooks.
noooooooooo!

So I deleted iBooks earlier, but it's not in the app store. How can I get this back? thx.

Last edited:

moxx

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I updated iTunes to 12 but still with Mavericks (I used the trick to get rid of iBooks months ago). iTunes 12 actually manages ebooks : menu presentation (in French. It's the 4th on the left), more/audiobooks. This works for ebooks as well.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Found the fix!

Found a solution for Yosemite that puts Books back into iTunes and reconverts the files back to meaningful names in iTunes folder.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23542460#23542460

A small refinement or let's say alternative to Kevin's wonderful solution:

1.) Stopped the bookstoreagent process.

2.) Moved its file to elsewhere (Documents) so it wouldn't start up again on reboot.

Now assuming that you want and have organized all your media (music, video, book, pdf, etc.) in your 'iTunes Media' folder:

3) Opened up iTunes, made sure I had checked 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library' in iTunes >Preferences>Advanced

4.) Went to iTunes>File>Library and checked 'Consolidate library' (and all my files (books/pdf's) magically reappeared (got copied back) in my iTunes Media folder (with all tags and so on like they used to be)

5.) Counted to ten.

6.) Restarted iTunes, saw all my stuff still there.

7.) Deleted iBooks for Mac (maybe wise to backup it to some external drive before), and the books in the new iBooks storage folder (that's in:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks)

8.) Synced to my iPad, and was, yea, verily happified.

For whom it helps.

Message was edited by: Andy Epprecht

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.