itunes both in windows and mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by windels, Mar 26, 2009.

1. windels macrumors regular

windels

hellow fellow macrumors-members,

I would like to know how I could listen to my music in itunes ; both in windows and the mac os. I came up with the next solution, but please let me know if you have a bether idea.

I would format the partition of windows to Fat32, so I could also read and write to that partition while I'm in leopard. (is this correct? ). then I would cut and copy my music folder to the windows partition. but, when I have done this, will I have to import everything to Itunes again? or is there a more easy way to let Itunes find my music again? Is there a way to keep my playlists etc?

so, I thinks this would be the best way but I still have some other questions left that need to be solved.

1. the name of an (free?) app that lets me partition in fat32 for mac, but that lets me go over the 32 GB apple lets me.

2 will time machine be able to backup the files that are in the FAT partition?

3 any other remarks?

any help will be very much appreciated,

thanks a lot, Sam

2. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

The OSX library files use a different directory structure than the Windows equivalent so every time you change from one OS to the other you would have the library files be rewritten. EDIT: I think it's called itunes.xml

That's why you have to export your iTunes library using the backup to disk option when switching from Windows to OSX if you want the star data, playlist, ect intact.

Best advice I can offer is either make two copies of your library, or.

Format a partition as NTFS (I say NTFS because it enables files larger than 4gb and is journaled) download Macfuse from Google, that allows OSX to write to NTFS.

Then move your OSX iTunes library from it's default location to the NTFS partition using the default location and keep itunes folder organized options in iTunes. After you do that iTunes in OSX will have no trouble accessing the iTunes library.

For Windows don't use iTunes, use another application like Microsoft's free Zune software (which plays everything iTunes dose thats not DRMed) or if you have Windows 7 just use Windows Media Player to play your iTunes library.

3. windels thread starter macrumors regular

windels