iTunes bricked iPhone 4 - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mdude85, Jul 25, 2010.

1. mdude85 macrumors member

Hi all --

I plugged in my iPhone 4 tonight to download the new software update but when I checked on the status, my phone went into recovery mode and has to be restored. It has no function right now.

A few weeks ago I was selling my 3GS and downgraded to 3.1.2 with 9.1 (I had previously jailbroken but was reverting to stock). Could this be related to that? I have no idea. What should I do? Upgrade iTunes and restore? Have I lost everything? Is my data at least saved from the last backup I did? If so, is there a backup file on my system that has my stuff so I can have a copy in case it gets over-written? Is there some way I can get out of recovery mode? I posted in this forum because it may have something to do with the jailbreaking I did a while ago, but that was with my 3GS....

Thanks ...

2. Dice101 macrumors newbie

I use blackrain to kick it out of recovery has worked every time.

3. mdude85 thread starter macrumors member

Oh I should mention that this iPhone 4 is not jailbroken, it's stock ...

4. Dice101 macrumors newbie

5. mdude85 thread starter macrumors member

if I restore, will it still be able to load an old backup of all my stuff? I don't mind restoring, as long as I can get the stuff back.

6. Dice101 macrumors newbie

7. mdude85 thread starter macrumors member

thanks, I used tinyumbrella to kick out of recovery mode, all my stuff is still there, but now I am afraid to reconnect to itunes ... what could be the problem here? Should I upgrade to new iTunes first and see what happens?

It's just so confusing, is it possible that iTunes is trying to load one of the IPSWs left over from when I reverted back to 3.1.2 from iOS4 on my 3GS? I definitely selected to install the newest iOS4 update.

8. Dice101 macrumors newbie

I don't know why it does that but mine would do it every time I attempted to restore or update. I just got it replaced yesterday but have not tried a restore or update on the new one.

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

it is VERY unlikely iTunes was trying to install the wrong ipsw... failing which you can always delete any iPhone 2,1 ipsw file but since the phone is out of recovery u should be fine plugging it in to itunes again

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

First of all, since your phone is stock, this is not the correct subforum for this question. Second, your phone is not bricked, it is in recovery mode. Third, this is easily corrected: restore to the latest firmware.

11. Kayan macrumors 6502

He said "recovery" in every instance except the title. We know what you mean anyways

12. iPhoneVic macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

The Only

Way it would be JB'd is if you were one of the Dev Team members...or Geohot...LOL

13. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Actually the title of this thread is:
    So… yes, he did, actually.

*cough* I see you've done some damage control editing… ;)

14. Kayan macrumors 6502

lol, got me:D. Didn't realize till afterwards, but still we got the point. Just trying to bring the spirit of longofest's new "It's getting hot in here" announcement" into the thread.