iTunes: Building Library / iPod Synch for MP3s on Network (Newbie)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ICEBreaker, Dec 22, 2007.

1. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Dear fellow Apple users,

I've just gotten an iMac and iPod, and so have a simple question to ask. However, I could not find the answer on this or other forums.

I have all my media files (inclusive of MP3s) on my PC/XP, which is acting as a file server for the Mac. I've setup the networking, and can find my files on Finder. I now wish to place these MP3s onto my iPod. How do I do this?

Can I just drag and drop the folders right into the iPod? My iPod appears under DEVICES in iTunes, but it does not appear under DEVICES in Finder. Therefore, I cannot drag and drop files into it.

I know another way would be way would be to add the MP3s to the Library first and manage it from there. However, I am having trouble doing this. I assume one should use File > Add to Library. However, what this does is to copy all my MP3s from my networked PC all the way to the Mac! I don't want those media files on my Mac! I have 1.5TB of data on my PC but only 250GB on my Mac.

I must be doing something wrong. Can someone kindly teach me how to move MP3s from my networked PC to the iPod through the Mac? Thanks!!

JC

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Go to iTunes preferences, and use the Advanced options to locate your library in a specific place... syncing the iPod by iTunes is the sane and proper way to do things.

3. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you Blue Velvet for pointing out the relevant settings under PREFERENCES > ADVANCED. I unchecked the ORGANISE and COPY functions.

However, I've got an extra problem. iTunes works well if you bought the MP3 online, or ripped it from a CD. However, a lot of the music I have are songs that were encoded unprofessionally (mainly Games and Anime) and therefore do not come with complete MP3 IDs. I keep these organised under different folders. But once imported to iTunes, they are all over the place, and ungrouped. How do I group them together?

Thanks!

4. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Everything worked well. But now it seems as if I am having some new problems. I don't seem to be able to add any new files to the library. Whenever I attempt to do so, nothing happens. It is as if I never issued the command. Could anyone point of if I am doing something obviously wrong?

Under Preferences > Advanced:
    UNCHECKED Keep iTunes Music Folder Organised
    UNCHECKED Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library

Other than that, I don't think I've changed any other settings from the default. I was able to add a whole bunch to MP3s from one network folder to the library before, but now I cannot do so with another folder.

Thank you!!