iTunes; Buying Songs Preference

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by longball11, Sep 23, 2010.

1. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Now I buy my songs on iTunes all the time. When I see new albums released specifically in the Rock genre, I usually buy one song from that album. That song that I buy from that album, is the song that is most popular. I usually buy the song that is most popular on that particular album or in the top 5 for the artist.

Yes, I know obsessive-compulsive about song choices. And lately some of these bands, in the rock genre, just keep switching up on popularity of a song everyday. So I wait until it settles down. There are some songs from a particular album that I will like and want but only get them because of song popularity or in top 5. How does iTunes song popularity work? Sales of certain songs? Sorry about being picky, I just like to save money and enjoy the (best?) music I listen to.

2. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

Bump -- I'm not understanding some things at all. How does one song on a particular album go into the top 5 then couple days or weeks later, it drops completely from the top 5? iTunes is inconsistent. Or maybe I should just buy the one that I like. ...

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I imagine the popularity is based on the song's...popularity? Perhaps the number of people who either search for or buy the song.

Just curious though, have you considered just buying the songs you like and not worrying about what other people find "popular"? I mean, you can listen to previews of the song before you buy and everything.

4. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

I don't know it seems like the popularity of a song is usually the best one on some albums. Trying to get the best bang for my money.