Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihateitunes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
I imported an audio cd into itunes, never touched the file location and have never moved the file location of any files in itunes. The cd was imported as a .wav file which itunes does not support, why they have a setting for something they do not support is beyond me, but i use a pc, the ipod was for my gf, but i digress. because i was unaware of the settings itunes can no longer locate the file and i cant convert it to aac because it cannot locate the file (this was a borrowed cd so re-importing is not an option. I can successfully locate the file and see the path, the only difference between these files and all the "good" files is the .wav ending. How do i get itunes to recognize the file and convert it to aac? I have reset my library only to get this...(see attached). Now the tracks are stuck in the .xml library (i actually searched and found them) and do not even show in the itunes library! I have called apple, googled, etc. and no one seems to have this specific problem. Once you locate the file and get the box that shows you where the file is located how do you fix the broken link?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    351.6 KB · Views: 148

ihateitunes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
iTunes does support .wav files. Where did you get the idea it doesn't?

For broken links, try Fix Broken Tracks from Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

I guess I believed the "Genius" because the only tracks I am having problems with are .wav files. Thanks for the link, unfortunately the script won't work on Windows OS so its of no use to me. I guess I will just have to re-import from the cd what tracks I can and purchase those I can't! I have spent two days on this and there seems to be no answer. For what ever reason, when I imported those cds into itunes it must have linked the file to my cd drive (though that isn't what the file location indicates) so it will not play unless the cd is inserted...or something...I don't know at this point it is not worth the time/effort to figure it out!

SpetsnaZ99

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
UK
I had the very same problem on my girlfriends laptop the other day. I copied a folder from my Itunes onto a flash drive then plugged the flash drive into her windows laptop and copied the folder to her desktop. I opened the iTunes on her laptop and chose 'Add to library', navigated to the folder id just put on the desktop and selected all the tracks. Since im a mac user i expected the tracks to be copied to the users music folder, however i found that to be not true when i deleted the folder on the desktop. I got an error that the file couldnt be found.

What you need to do is open iTunes on your girlfriends PC and choose the 'Edit' menu, then 'preferences'. Then choose 'Advanced' and check the box 'Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library' then click 'OK'

To convert the files. In iTunes choose the 'Advanced' menu and then choose one of the 'Create' versions

ihateitunes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
I had the very same problem on my girlfriends laptop the other day. I copied a folder from my Itunes onto a flash drive then plugged the flash drive into her windows laptop and copied the folder to her desktop. I opened the iTunes on her laptop and chose 'Add to library', navigated to the folder id just put on the desktop and selected all the tracks. Since im a mac user i expected the tracks to be copied to the users music folder, however i found that to be not true when i deleted the folder on the desktop. I got an error that the file couldnt be found.

What you need to do is open iTunes on your girlfriends PC and choose the 'Edit' menu, then 'preferences'. Then choose 'Advanced' and check the box 'Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library' then click 'OK'

To convert the files. In iTunes choose the 'Advanced' menu and then choose one of the 'Create' versions

I have done all of that "iTunes cannot convert xxx because the file could not be found". Which sends me through the never ending loop of locating the file, which solves nothing other than seeing where the file is on my hd. Windows explorer can't find it (including hidden files), even if I copy the location into a search. Even if it could I can't convert it w/o itunes...which can't find the file...

----------

Aside from chewing up your drive space why not use a lossless or compressed format instead of .wav?

I didn't intend to use .wav, just didn't realize the import setting needed to be changed. Everything else is aac, works best on the ipod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.