"Itunes cannot read contents of ipad"

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by debudebu, May 13, 2011.

1. debudebu macrumors regular

Last night I decided to do a clean install back to factory settings. After this was done and I had loaded some of my go to apps I decided to sync it up. Now Itunes is now telling me it "cannot read the contents of the iPad" I've done the home/sleep reboot and Itunes still won't read it.

At one point I was jailbroken, but wouldn't restoring to factory have erased the traces of that? I have the latest Itunes installed and the latest IOS on iPad. Any clues here? thanks

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I've seen this issue, and ironically, you need to be jailbroken in order to fix it. Not sure what causes it, when it's happened to me, it's always been on currently jailbroken devices. Basically, your iTunes control files have gotten corrupted. If you can jailbreak, you can go in and delete the bad files, and iTunes will recognize the iPad again. I don't have the info on what files you have to delete on me, I'll check back later and post the info if you're still needing help then.

3. debudebu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for getting back. I think I do remember hearing somewhere you could go in with iphoneexplorer and delete control files, but that's just from memory and I never had the problem until now. Well, after 3 restores Itunes is finally recognizing the IPad. Go figure