Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
I have recently jailbroken my iPod Touch and been able to sync it with iTunes a few times since then (although it restarted every time afterwards for some reason).
Now, when i plug it in, I get a message: "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPod "[iPod Name]". Go to the Summary tab in ipod preferences and click Restore to restore this iPod to factory settings."
I don't want to restore it because it will remove the jailbreak and everything i've done with it.
Any idea how to fix this?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.131 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I thought I read that Apple has said jailbroken devices are going to be considered illegal. If that's the case, I'm not sure you can ask for help here.

Only thing I can tell you is to retore it and use the software meant for the device.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.131 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I thought I read that Apple has said jailbroken devices are going to be considered illegal. If that's the case, I'm not sure you can ask for help here.

Only thing I can tell you is to retore it and use the software meant for the device.

If MacRumors cared about that then there sure as hell wouldn't be an iPhone Hacks and iPod touch Hacks section, would there? They're about nothing but jailbreaking.

Apple has said that they want to make it so that using modified software (jailbreaking) on their devices is illegal, but so far they haven't done anything to actually make it illegal. Them merely stating "we want to make it illegal" does not make it so, and it takes many months/years for this sort of thing to become real.

But basically, my first paragraph said it all. If MacRumors had a problem with you posting advice about jailbreaking, then they wouldn't have these hacks forums to begin with. Logic.

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
anyways… does anyone have an answer to my question?
Of note, my iPod, and all the pictures on it, shows up fine in iPhoto.

jmann

macrumors 604
Normally I would suggest running "aptbackup" to backup all the stuff you downloaded through cydia, but since you can't sync your device with the computer you are out of luck really. I would make note of what jailbroken stuff you downloaded, then force the device into DFU mode and do a restore/rejailbreak it. Do you have a Mac or a PC?

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Thanks for the help. I have a mac and I just started the restore. I think i'll remember everything i've downloaded through Cydia. And it actually, after giving me the message that the contents can't be read, lets me restore it without DFU mode. I just wish I knew why it did this so that I could avoid it next time. Anyways, thanks for the help.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
Yeah usually a DFU restore works fine, even if the iPod seems "bricked", there are many reasons that could've happened. Just make sure that you have your iTunes and Mac updated to the latest versions to avoid any problems. :)

yyyeah just go for a restore and do it right next time

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
yyyeah just go for a restore and do it right next time

The only problem is that I don't know what I did wrong. Everything is updated to the latest software.

Anyways, I restored my iPod and it seemed to remove the jailbreak (Cydia, and everything else is gone), however, the battery percentage that I had turned on in BossPrefs still remains. Anyone know how this happened?

Attachments

• IMG_0009.PNG
    IMG_0009.PNG
    105.8 KB · Views: 194

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
You could have just deleted the Media folder in /var/mobile/. That would've fixed it. Then you just sync back all your stuff.

No need for a restore. Too late now, however.

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
The only problem is that I don't know what I did wrong. Everything is updated to the latest software.

Anyways, I restored my iPod and it seemed to remove the jailbreak (Cydia, and everything else is gone), however, the battery percentage that I had turned on in BossPrefs still remains. Anyone know how this happened?

You restored from a backup. That puts back the numerical battery status.
And this situation with iTunes has nothing to do with jailbreaking or anything like that. Sometimes, some of the media partition gets corrupted on the phone, and deleted the folder /var/mobile/Media fixes it. You didn't do anything wrong.

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
I'm new to jailbreaking so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how would I delete the folder /var/mobile/Media? Through the Mobile Finder app? Thanks for the tip, that probably explains why my iPod said there was no music on it, which I forgot to mention.

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
I'm new to jailbreaking so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how would I delete the folder /var/mobile/Media? Through the Mobile Finder app? Thanks for the tip, that probably explains why my iPod said there was no music on it, which I forgot to mention.

Yeah. You could do it with MobileFinder.

mfcirca17

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
ive read a few forums, and they all tell me that i have to go to var/root/media/itunes control and to delete itunes control, but i can never find it where it tells me to look, i find it in another spot. i have a 2gen 8gb ipod touch jailbroken. i got a program to transfer my songs and videos to my itunes after i reformatted my laptop, and it then it stopped connecting. will deleting the media file delete all the music and videos on my ipod? thats what im really trying to avoid otherwise i would have just restored it.
please help me out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.