Itunes cannot read the contents of the iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PrintNameHere, Feb 8, 2011.

1. PrintNameHere macrumors newbie

Went to the ATT store yesterday with a family member, upgraded my line to an iPhone 4, took my old 3GS and had it changed over to the other family members line who had a normal slider phone before. Guy at the store restored the 3gs before he did the change, we also had him move all the Contacts from her old phone to the iPhone. We got done, and I went to setup up her phone on her computer, downloaded itunes, go to connect the 3gs, and I get the error "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone...." and the only option I have is to restore, after trying different things (setting up itunes account and what not to see if that was the issue) I finally gave up and tried the restore, downloads the whole restore, gets to "processing" the download then gives the error "connection timed out, try again later".

Really not sure what else to do, considering the phone is not jailbroken and we have yet to sync the contacts to itunes, my main concern is loosing all the contacts with the restore, says you'll have the option to restore them, but I'm assuming that means you can restore them if you've synced the phone before. I haven't tried restoring it today yet, see if maybe the restore server or whatever was just acting up yesterday, but I'm curious to know if it will restore the contacts without a previous sync? Any soulutions? oh and I tried the ifunbox(think thats the right name) fix, of deleting itunesdb off the phone, can't do it since its not jail broken. Thanks

2. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

Have you updated you iTunes to the lastest version, because if you still have a earlier version of iTunes then it will have a problem reading the iphone data

3. PrintNameHere thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, it's the latest version, like I said, installed iTunes on her computer when we got back. Even plugged it into my laptop which synced with my 4g, gave the same error. I'm gonna have her start putting her contacts on a google account to sync with the phone, was hoping to avoid that, but if anyone knows a fix or if it will somehow save the contacts when I restore with iTunes, that would be great.