iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tnnrx7, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Tnnrx7 macrumors member

So I keep getting this error and have looked into it.

But it keeps happening over and over randomly.

I went ahead and restored as a new iPhone and started from scratch.

IT KEEPS HAPPENING!

Don't know what to do at this point, any suggestions :confused:

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. Tnnrx7 thread starter macrumors member

No error number. Just a window that states: "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone. Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings."

4. Tnnrx7, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011

Tnnrx7 thread starter macrumors member

I've gotten one reply on this issue asking for a error #, well there isn't one. I have researched a lot, I have deleted the iTunesDB and iTunesCDB and even restored as a new iPhone and lost all my data but STILL is happening.

Can't be the only one who has ever had this problem. I don't ever post a question without digging deep myself and trying everything possible before reaching out for help.

5. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

It seems to me that if you have already restored the phone and are still getting an error, I would look at the possibility there is a problem with iTunes. Have you tried reinstalling it? Have you tried to take a picture with the phone and see if your computer recognizes the iPhone? That might help narrow things down a little.

You don't mention what computer OS you are using (i.e. Windows, Mac, etc.). There are specific instructions on how to reinstall iTunes for Windows machines to ensure everything you install is the latest. Try that and see what happens.

6. Tnnrx7, Jul 18, 2011

iTunes is the latest version, but I will try a reinstall, thank you for the suggestion should have thought of that myself.

The computer recognizes the iPhone and all the photos and videos. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64. I will give this a shot and let you know how it works, thanks again for the type of reply I was looking for :D

7. saving107, Jul 18, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

And just like CSMchris376 pointed out, you haven't mentioned what type of OS your using (Mac 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 or Windows Vista, Windows 7). Also, what OS is your iPhone on (4.3.3, 4.3.4),

Are you Jailbroken?

When and how did this issue begin?

Can you post a screenshot of the error?

The best way to get help on this forum is by providing us as much details as possible of the issue, just saying "I keep getting this error and have looked into it" is not much to go on.

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I had this problem once but reinstalling iTunes fixed it. If that doesn't help try sync with another computer (that would identify whether it's the phone or iTunes).

Other than that, like savings107 said, post as many details you can, they might be helpful in diagnosing the problem

9. dom9360 macrumors newbie

dom9360

A few more details:
    -PC OS?
    -iTunes version?
    -iOS version?

10. Tnnrx7, Jul 18, 2011

I understand. Win 7 64bit, 4.3.4, not jailbroken, randomly a week or so ago.

I reinstalled iTunes, same thing. Here's the screenshot:

[​IMG]

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If you have an Apple store near you it might be time to take a trip. Even if you are out of warranty they might be able to point you in the right direction for getting this issue figured out.

12. Tnnrx7 thread starter macrumors member

Closest one is 2 hrs away, out of warranty now.

13. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Try a different USB port. I had something similar with a marginal USB port. Essentially it didn't recognize it.

On another note, can you browse the photos area of the phone in My Computer when this happens? If that works, then it most likely isn't something with the USB/Phone and is something with iTunes.

14. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

When you reinstalled iTunes on the computer, did you follow these instructions? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

It makes a difference in so much as iTunes may leave a file in the installation if the date matches. Like others have said, if Windows is recognizing the iPhone when connected but iTunes is not, you can also try and plug it into another computer and see if iTunes will read it there. That would help isolate an issue on your computer.

From there, I cannot really say anything else.

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'm more thinking along the lines of the problem being in iTunes, not the iPhone.
    Maybe you don't have enough Bluegrass music and iTunes is rejecting it? :p

Seriously though, if iTunes can see the phone when plugged in try to right click on it and select backup. Do you still get the error?

Have you tried a different USB cable? I had one in my car and it just died recently.

16. Tnnrx7 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I followed those instructions exactly.

Windows recognizes the phone every time and I can copy them to my PC.

I don't have another computer right now to test, but I will keep that in mind.

If the bluegrass music is the reason, I'm definitely screwed LOL

When I right click the iPhone in iTunes it only gives me the options:
    Open in a new window or Eject, no other options.

I have not, my other one is at work so I will have to grab it tomorrow and bring it home to give that a shot.

In the meantime, I've found some info of places where iTunes files/registry items, etc are left behind that are not mentioned in the Apple page. I will give that a try soon too.

Thanks everyone for the positive help - hope we can get to the bottom of this!

17. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

I run into this all the time. Usually I'll unplug the phone and try again. If that doesn't work, I'll shut down iTunes and restart it. One of those two usually fixes it.

18. Tnnrx7 thread starter macrumors member

Tried that plenty of times, no go.

So when I followed the steps on Apple's site, it still had my playlists and all of that so I knew it didn't completely uninstall.

I followed this guide this time:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2395...other-apple-software-from-a-windows-computer/

All my info was cleared, came up like a complete fresh install, plug my iPhone in and same error.

19. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

This makes me think it's a problem with the phone itself, not your computer/iTunes. If that is the case, and you are out of warranty, I'd simply wait for the next iPhone to come out and live with the phone you have as it is now.

Hopefully I'm wrong though and someone can find a way to help you.

20. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

There's got to be something wrong with a .db file on your computer or something....that or your 32pin connector on your iphone is going bad. But if that were the case, why would it connect to grab photos...hmm, im intrigued...

21. Tnnrx7 thread starter macrumors member

Very intrigued myself. Only thing I can think of to try from here is a different computer using a different USB cable...but I'm starting to think it's the phone but I don't know.

I will try that when I get the chance. If that doesn't work, I will restore my phone one more time with this fresh install of iTunes and see if it continues.

If that doesn't work, well... :mad:

22. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

just got this problem today. I also deleted the itunesDB and it did nothing so what I did was deleted everything in that folder that had the month of July and it fixed my problem.

23. Tnnrx7 thread starter macrumors member

So I went about 2 weeks now after restoring and starting from scratch.

Everything has been working fine until I went to Sync my phone today and BAM the error came AGAIN!!!

Seriously starting to piss me off :mad:

24. Tnnrx7 thread starter macrumors member

Any other ideas fellas?

Also anyway I can ssh into my phone and backup my text messages so when I restore AGAIN I can at least keep those?

25. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

This is a strange and annoying problem Apple should really be on top of. I have just had this problem and decided to look on here. Tried some suggestions. Tried a different USB port, didn't work. Then I shut iTunes completely, took the lead out of my phone and plugged it in again. Then I opened iTunes. It worked!! Strange!!