iTunes can't detect my iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Anthony45654, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Anthony45654, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

Anthony45654 macrumors newbie

I've had my iPhone for a little over a year now (got it Nov 2011) and it has been in an Otterbox case the whole time. I've only dropped it a few times (enough to count on one hand) and the falls weren't that bad, just the occasional 2-3 foot drop.

My iPhone works perfectly fine but whenever I plug it into my computer, iTunes isn't able to detect the iPhone. This started happening about a month or two ago. The weird part is, I'm still able to transfer pictures and videos from the iPhone to my computer and the phone also recharges while plugged in to the computer. I'm not sure whether or not this is a software or hardware issue but I'm using the latest iOS and latest iTunes version. I even tried using a different cable (the one that came with the iPhone; never used it because I already had one) and that didn't help either. Wi-Fi sync doesn't work either, even though I've used it in the past.

I would try restoring the iPhone but I can't restore it if it doesn't connect to iTunes in the first place -_-

I haven't brought it to the Apple store yet because I haven't had the time to go but I'll go if that's my only option.

Here is the error message I get from iTunes:
    [​IMG]

Please help, thanks.

2. Anthony45654 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you update to the latest itunes version yet?

4. pezareawesome macrumors newbie

5. Anthony45654 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. It happened before I updated and it still happens after.

The page doesn't have the error code I'm getting.

6. Fredvs79 macrumors newbie

Did you buy the phone new or used? Is/was it jailbroken or unlocked by GiviSIM?

It is likely a software issue. The recourse I would suggest is backup what you can (photos, etc), then prepare to restore the phone. Before you restore it you need to put it in DFU mode though. DFU mode will likely be the missing piece that allows you to restore.

Keep in mind though, if your phone is jailbroken and/or unlocked, restoring it to iOS 6 will likely cause you to lose your JB/unlock.

7. Anthony45654 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it new and unused/unopened and it has never been jailbroken/unlocked. What exactly is DFU mode and how do I get to it?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. Fredvs79 macrumors newbie

Google my friend

DFU mode is basically a low-level boot mode that avoids running many of the start-up scripts of the operating system in the phone

You get to it by plugging the phone into your computer, turning off the phone, holding the home button press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, and then release the home button (I think, but double check) and then continue holding the power button until iTunes reports an iphone has been detected (usually about 20 seconds)

10. Anthony45654 thread starter macrumors newbie

So since my computer can detect the iPhone in DFU mode but not in normal mode, that pretty much confirms that this is a software problem, right?

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Would seem that way.

12. Anthony45654 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright so I tried restoring the iPhone through DFU mode and it said it was updating or installing the latest iOS or something like that (even though the phone is already running iOS 6) for about an hour. Then it attempted to restore the phone but I got this error message:
    [​IMG]

After I pressed OK, my iPhone was stuck on a black screen with an Apple logo in the middle with an empty loading bar and iTunes still wasn't able to detect it. I went into DFU mode again but idk what to do from here...

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Have you jailbroken in the past? Make sure nothing is in your hosts file.

14. Anthony45654 thread starter macrumors newbie

Never jailbroken/unlocked and was bought brand new/unopened. What do you mean by hosts file? What is that?

15. blueroom, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

16. Anthony45654 thread starter macrumors newbie

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

18. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

19. fultoejame macrumors newbie

you restore it you need to put it in DFU mode though.[​IMG]