itunes can't find music on HD that is THERE

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lovingshanelle, Nov 19, 2011.

1. lovingshanelle macrumors newbie

I moved the location of my music to my external hard drive. Now itunes is say

"The song “-----” could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?"

Well I go to my external hard drive location and the song is there. I have tried to change the location back to my internal hard drive. But it says the same thing.

At this point I don't know what to do. Half of my music is in the folders but I can not access them.

What do I do???

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

What OS are you running? I had this issue a lot on XP years ago.

3. lovingshanelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac OS X
    Version 10.6.8

4. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Remove the songs from the library and re-add them from the location you want.

5. lovingshanelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay..so I tried that. I worked :) Will I have to add the songs one by one? :eek: Can I just try to add the whole library again? Can I delete the whole library and re-add them ALL again?

6. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Just do a select all and delete them from your library. Do not remove them from the computer. Then just re-add them all again.

7. lovingshanelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I am trying it. It just sucks that I have lost all my contents of my playlist. I will keep you posted :)

8. lovingshanelle, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

lovingshanelle thread starter macrumors newbie

I have deleted my music off of my itunes in hopes of installing it again. Now it will NOT add it back to my itunes. The music is there, on my external hard drive AND on my PC, but itunes is NOT recognizing that it is there. I don't know what to do. Do I have some type of virus?? (I was under the impression that mac's can't get viruses) Can I take my computer to the apple store will they help me fix it??

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you don't have a virus. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

10. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

Is Vudoo saying to select all (my entire library), delete (but not move to trash), and then import my entire library again?

If I just delete the library.itl file, will iTunes recreate a new file that identifies all of the music files? (I understand I'll lose playlists, play counts and tagging).