iTunes cant find my music anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danieljoe, Jan 30, 2009.

1. danieljoe macrumors member

danieljoe

Yesterday, i had to re-format my external hard drive so that it could be "recordable" within Pro Tools, which wasnt a major issue, i just had to move everything from my LACIE drive to another drive, do the format, and then throw it all back on. it took a little while but this also included moving my nearly 60gb itunes library...

now that it is on the newly formatted hard drive, itunes doesnt seem to be able to find the majority of the songs any more. i've tried changing the music folder and a few other things, and there is no way i'm going through and doing the "cant find music - click here to find it" palava...

is anyone aware of a way that you can "mass find" all of the music in any way other than starting the library again and adding all the music (i dont really want to lose all of my play counts and ratings if possible!)

thanks,
    dan

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've had this issue. It's not too hard to fix, if you have your library consolidated and organized the way iTunes likes it, which it sounds like you do. In fact, there's a script designed specifically for tasks like this - try it, and see if it works for you.

3. danieljoe thread starter macrumors member

danieljoe

hey man, the script that you sent seems to just simplify the process of locating the lost files (which arent lost - :mad: hehe)...

Also, it's more than 3/4 of my library which is apparently missing and with nearly 12 thousand songs, doing each song individually would take AGES!

any other ideas? thanks for the help anyway!