iTunes - can't locate my songs`

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by soonadog, Jul 21, 2010.

1. soonadog macrumors member

I have had iTunes for a long time, and used it with no problems, syncing with two iPods and an iPhone.

The other day, however, after syncing with an iPod, my entire library had exclamation marks next to each song and when I click them, or try to play a song, I get the message "The song "______" could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?"

I cannot locate the songs or understand what happened. My iPod plays the songs but the iMac doesn't play them from iTunes. Any help is appreciated.

I have an iMac and the latest version of iTunes.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

have you messed with the song folders by chance? renaming them outside of itunes?

What you could do is reimport your entire library rather than going one by one to find them. Downside is you will lose playlists and playback stats but it should restore all songs....if you didnt throw them away by chance

3. soonadog thread starter macrumors member

Not intentionally. I did delete a bunch of my daughter's songs but I didn't do anything weird. And I didn't re-name anything.

Where would I find the library if I did want to reimport?

Can I retrieve the library from an iPod?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The library is located in ~/Music

There are programs, such as Senuti, that allow for transferring songs from ipod to computer. Senuti was free but I no longer think it is but there are probably some free alternatives

5. soonadog thread starter macrumors member

Nobody has any more specific experience with this, or ideas about what happened?

6. eleven7 macrumors regular

Can you explain exactly how you deleted your daughter's songs?

7. soonadog thread starter macrumors member

I highlighted them, then hit the delete button, then clicked "remove" when it asked me if I was sure I wanted to remove the selected songs from the library.

Those songs are now gone, but all my other songs are still listed in the library - they just have the exclamation point and they don't play - just shows the message I mentioned in my first post. So it's hard to think it's related to my deleting a few songs.

Also, when I look in the trash, I see my daughter's deleted songs, but not the other 1,000 songs that now won't play. So I didn't delete them. I must have relocated them?

8. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Do you keep your music in the default iTunes folder? go to Home/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music.

Are there files in there?

9. soonadog thread starter macrumors member

That folder is empty.

There are "Previous iTunes Libraries," but I'm not sure what to do with them - and when I clicked one it says it's only 516 KB on disc.

10. eleven7 macrumors regular

Strange. Have you tried doing a spotlight search to find one of YOUR songs that are still listed? If you can find one, you should be able to locate all the others, then re-import everything back into iTunes. It sounds like the file path has been changed somehow, so they should be sitting on your harddrive somewhere.

If all else fails - download a freeware application like 'CopyTrans' http://www.copytrans.net/ which will allow you to transfer all the music from your iPod/iPhone back onto your computer.

There's a few out there that do it but I've found CopyTrans to be the easiest to use, most-up-to-date and it's completely free. The only downside is that it's not available on OS X, so you'll have to do it on Windows via bootcamp or VMWare etc, or just on another computer, then copy the mp3 files across.