iTunes can't locate over 1000 songs!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gokunama, May 9, 2011.

1. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

So I backed everything up to Time Machine, reinstalled my OS, then erased everything again on my iMac (intentionally), reinstalled, updated, then restored from Time Machine, and now over 1000 of my music files are simply gone!?

Anyone run into this before? I have both iTunes purchased songs and non iTunes purchased songs missing, and I have some of both available as well.

2. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Is all your music back in the same folder location? You could check the path in iTunes settings under advanced.

3. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I did a TM restore at the weekend onto a new disk and it only went wrong with 1 track out of 7000. I must have renamed the track in 'get info' and it would have renamed the file on disk at the same time, but the TM backup still had the old filename for some reason, so it didn't match with what the iTunes library thought it was called. I just renamed it manually to the new name and it worked fine. I suppose it's possible that something similar has happened to you but with a lot more files, and the files might be there somewhere but with the wrong name, or the wrong path if you have ever changed artist or album names.

4. Gokunama thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Found them! They were in a shared folder. I added those to library and then had to delete all the songs with no link but to which were in the other folder.