iTunes can't play Apple Lossless?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Jan 23, 2011.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Finished converting some CDs to Apple Lossless m4a for iPhone. iTunes store CDs are AAC m4a files so I thought there would be no problems with lossless since they are in Apple's own format. Problem is QT plays them fine but iTunes doesn't WTF? Can see album artwork and they play but no audio. I was reading that aTV can also play AAC m4a Lossless so why aren't they playing in iTunes?

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Are you talking about Apple Lossless not playing on your iPhone or your Mac?

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Well I converted them from CD to AAC Lossless m4a (since the iTunes store music seems to be AAC m4a files [maybe not lossless but still]) eventually to play on my iPhone, but as I was organizing my iTunes library I realized that they wouldn't play in iTunes. Haven't bothered to test on my iPhone as it's irrelevant at this point. Even if the iPhone can't play Apple lossless, I would like to play them in iTunes since aTV can play AAC lossless (apparently).

If iTunes can't play AAC Lossless what's the point in even having AAC lossless?

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

My iTunes plays Apple lossless with no issue whatsoever. I think I understand what you said, but just to clarify--you imported the files from CD directly into iTunes as Apple lossless, right? There wasn't a different conversion program involved in the process?

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Yes, I used Max not iTunes because iTunes is slow + I was already using Max for something else so I used it for my CDs.

Max is a highly popular Cocoa Mac only app that many audiophiles are using even over XLD.

My AAC lossless m4a files have full artwork and play flawlessly on my aTV2 and iPhone 4. Just tested. What's up with iTunes? Weird.

6. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Well, I don't know what to tell you, as I'm not familiar with that program and how well (or poorly) it may work with iTunes. I guess maybe try importing a couple of songs directly from CD into iTunes in the Apple lossless format without using a 3rd-party program and see if there's a difference. If they work, you may just need to import them that way. That's the only way I've ever converted files to that format and I've never had a problem with them at all.

7. patent10021, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

OMG...LOL! In iTunes my Airplay option was selected to my aTV2 so the output was going to my aTV2 which I didn't realize because my TV wasn't on. When I switch Airplay back to 'Computer' the audio came through.

Music to my ears!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'm guessing this could be an easy thing to miss for anyone since it's not so obvious what home device might be receiving Airplay if you have multiple WiFi devices in your house.

If you have a chance check out Max since it handles FLAC files nicely (iTunes can't) and is much faster.