iTunes can't read iPhone 4 please restore message.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kduck-99, Mar 30, 2011.

1. kduck-99 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently bought a new MacBook and sold my old laptop, I have all my music and movies backed up on a portable hard drive, and the first time iv connected my iPhone 4 to my MacBook I'm getting a message in iTunes saying that it can't read my iPhone and that I need to restore it to continue, it won't let me back up my iPhone or do anything, on the whole I'm not too worried about restoring it, bcoz I wont lose any of my music or movies, but I will lose all my contacts, messages and apps that I don't have back ups for, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions before I go ahead and do the restore??

Many thanks

K. Duck.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

What did you do with your old iPhone backups? If they're recent enough, you should be able to use them.

3. kduck-99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have any old back ups :( they were all on my old laptop which I sold, this is the first time I plugged it into my new mac trying to back it up.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Really? I guess I'm paranoid. I'd have kept a backup, just in case. Then again, I have backups of my backups and am seriously considering DVD backups of my hd backups.
    D/l something like iPhone explorer and see if you can copy stuff off your phone that way.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

In the future, consider syncing your contacts to gmail, so you have an online source as a backup.