ITunes can't recognize brand new iPod Touch! Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mustakori, Feb 20, 2010.

1. mustakori macrumors newbie

i just bought a 32GB ipod touch. i have a 2 yr old macbook pro that runs 10.5. when i plugged the ipod in for the first time, it lit up like it was connected something and shows an image of the usb cable, and an arrow pointing to itunes. but itunes has know idea that an ipod is connected.

i read somewhere that that means it wants to be registered. but it doesn't give me the option of registering it on itunes.

apple support forums said to restart computer, restart device, restart both and i did all of that.

then it said reinstall itunes. i did that.

then it said reset the ipod. i reset.

then it said reinstall apple mobile device package, whatever that is. i did that too.

i took it back to the shop, they plugged it into their computer, and it worked, killing all my righteous indignation.

what to do?

thanks

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Are you possibly reusing a cable meant for a different model iPod? Try using the one that came with the iPod touch with your MacBook Pro. Also test out the ports on the MacBook Pro, just to make sure you aren't barking up the wrong tree. You have iTunes 9 and Mac OS X 10.5.8?

3. mustakori thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, I have OS 10.5.8 and iTunes 9.0.3. I'm using the cable that came with the iPod. I tested it using my old iPod, the first or possible second gen. video one, and it worked. The usb ports are working with all kinds of other things, notable remote ergo mouse and keyboard. I thought maybe those were interfering, so I disconnected them also. No joy.

I found this on cNet and I'm trying it. Let's see.

Mac OS X

Delete the following files:

* /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext
    * /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework
    * /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework
    * /Library/Receipts/AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg

then re-installing the latest version of iTunes.

4. mustakori thread starter macrumors newbie

5. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

6. mustakori thread starter macrumors newbie

7. mustakori thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured that out and did it, but that didn't work either. Sigh.