Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexm13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
San Francisco, CA
hey everyone,

so I upgraded to snow leopard a few weeks ago and everything seems to be working pretty well expect itunes. When I opened itunes ever since, I upgraded, there is nothing in the library. I tired point itunes to my music folder in the prefs and I've tried option click opening itunes, and I say "choose library" and it still opens itunes with nothing in it.

I know I could just re-import all my music from my music folder, but I don't want to loose all the play counts and ratings, ect.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

~ Alex

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Don't know if that works: quit iTunes, go to Finder, go to the Music folder in your home directory, double-click on the iTunes library file there.

If that doesn't work, tell us what files in your Music folder are.

alexm13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Don't know if that works: quit iTunes, go to Finder, go to the Music folder in your home directory, double-click on the iTunes library file there.

If that doesn't work, tell us what files in your Music folder are.

i've tried that. here's a snap shot of the music folder:

Screenshot2010-01-21at14751AM.png

thanks

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Two things are strange: The temp files, I've never seen that before; and the fact that there's a music and a media folder. iTunes will probably just read one of those.

Suggestion:

1. Quit iTunes.

2. Trash the iTunes library file (the one highlighted in your screenshot); if you want, save it to an external first, if you don't have Time Machine.

3. Open iTunes.

This could force iTunes to re-build the library based on one of the xml-files (in your screenshot). No garantee that it works though.

alexm13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Two things are strange: The temp files, I've never seen that before; and the fact that there's a music and a media folder. iTunes will probably just read one of those.

Suggestion:

1. Quit iTunes.

2. Trash the iTunes library file (the one highlighted in your screenshot); if you want, save it to an external first, if you don't have Time Machine.

3. Open iTunes.

This could force iTunes to re-build the library based on one of the xml-files (in your screenshot). No garantee that it works though.

thanks for your help, I was able to restore it from one of the old library files!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.