iTunes Capacity Bar

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by phindol900, Jun 14, 2012.

1. phindol900 macrumors newbie

I know the thing about jailbroken backups saving data but it just wasting space, so, if you do restore your phone from a jailbroken backup, will the iTunes Capacity bar display this wasted data as before, or not?

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

no, the backup only saves plist files, which are very small.

3. phindol900 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, you're telling me that the backup shouldn't save jailbroken themes or apps anyway?

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Correct iTunes does save jb tweaks themes etc. Most of it in iTunes is displayed as other but is not backed up. There is pkgbackup and xbackup in Cydia that were designed to back those up.

5. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

To avoid wasted space, you should "restore as new", then synch the iPhone in iTunes after the restore to get your music/contacts, etc. back.

I never do this because I like to keep my texts, etc. but I'm going to go this route on my next restore/update because the wasted space is starting to adversely effect keeping pics/music on the phone...

6. phindol900 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm confused. You said it does save it, but it's not backed up? I just updating to 5.1.1 and do not plan on jailbreaking again until after iOS 6 so for the mean time I do not care about my themes. My only question is, if I restore my phone from my jailbroken backup, are the themes in that back up (even though I would be using them)? I ask because I just did it to try it, and my "other" category decreased by 1.2 GB, so I was not sure if that means it's gone, or it's still there but itunes doesn't recognize it as taking up space.