Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

old.school24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Hi, i'm trying to update my ipod software from 2.2.1 to 3.1.1

I have redeemed my 25$ itunes card and it shows that i have a $25.00 credit at the top of itunes.

However, when trying to update it says my credit card was declined (yet i have "payment method" set to "none" rather than visa, mastercard or american express)

How am i supposed to select my itunes card as a payment method? I see no option to select that.

OriginalFormula

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2009
I might be wrong, but as far as I remember, there were certain things you couldn't buy (at one point) with store credit. I'm not positive, but an OS update may be one of them.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I might be wrong, but as far as I remember, there were certain things you couldn't buy (at one point) with store credit. I'm not positive, but an OS update may be one of them.

I can't find anything indicating that firmware updates must be paid for by credit card. I know that certain types of credit (like the Pepsi promos for 1 song) were only good for, say music and not movies. However the firmware is a unique thing that is totally different from any other store content.

I would suggest seeing if you could buy it at an apple store where they have the firmware already downloaded. Of course that might not work if you have to re-format the Touch down the road.

DrawnToLife

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
this is the card that i have: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gvWdrsE6L._AA260_.jpg

it also wouldnt let me buy apps with it...

is it possible that the card can only be used with songs/movies?
I'm going to assume you're in Canada (Just for the sake of my typing my explanation.) iTunes cards can't be used for apps in Canada because of some online tax laws. This is kinda stupid in my opinion, because now I have to use a credit card, where as in the US, you could use iTunes gift cards and even Paypal for apps. :/

old.school24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
I'm going to assume you're in Canada (Just for the sake of my typing me explanation.) iTunes cards can't be used for apps in Canada because of some online tax laws. This is kinda stupid in my opinion, because now I have to use a credit card, where as in the US, you could use iTunes gift cards and even Paypal for apps. :/

ah, true (and yes, im in canada)... thanks for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.