itunes card(THIS SUCKS)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dongadrew, Oct 19, 2008.

1. dongadrew macrumors member

Well this Friday I picked up a 20 itunes card since I didn't want to use my credit card on the apple store. I was going to but FieldRunners and a couple of other apps with it but it would always take me to the billing information page. Went on Google and did some research and it turns out I can't buy any apps using the itunes gift card due to some stupid Canadian law:mad: Thats the only reason why I bought this itunes card. It's my fault to for not doing any research before I bought the itunes card.

2. kyto macrumors member

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

4. dongadrew thread starter macrumors member

LOL,I wish I could but I already redeem the code.

5. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

oh, I see, that sucks.

6. vandlism macrumors 6502

Hmmm...yeah, there isn't really much I can add for advice in resolving this. It's really too bad about the limitations. I would say rent/buy a couple movies and have good laugh.

7. OldLadywithiPod macrumors member

OldLadywithiPod

In sympathy from Old Lady . . . . these things are frustrating.

You might try complaining to either (1) where you bought the card or (2) a government official. I've known plenty of people who didn't even deserve getting a refund get one by griping and being a pain in the posterior. You certainly deserve one, so gripe to someone who might be able to either (1) give you a refund of your money or (2) change the laws so it doesn't happen to someone else. Don't give up!

8. dongadrew thread starter macrumors member

^I did emailed them asking if changes will be made in the near future and stuff and did complain a little.

9. OldLadywithiPod macrumors member

OldLadywithiPod

See? Better than doing nothing. They can't help you if they don't know anything's wrong. Only squeaky wheels have a chance at getting some grease.

10. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

:eek: That sucks!!! Well just post the code up here and see which one of us redeems it first!!! :D

11. cazlar macrumors 6502

So is it a Canadian itunes card, and you are in Canada? Or a US one but you are in Canada? If the latter, maybe it would be possible to change your address to a US one (temporarily) and see if that helps.

12. dongadrew thread starter macrumors member

I live in in Canada and it's a Canada itunes gift card too.

Got a reply from them today:

Hello Andrew,

Greetings from California, I'm Brian, with iTunes Support and I will help you with this issue. I hope you are having a good day. Apple does not comment on rumors about decisions, products, programs, or promotions that Apple has not officially announced.

By withholding comment, Apple hopes to protect customers from making decisions based on information that is incomplete, inaccurate, or subject to change before the formal announcement. Apple believes this is the best way to ensure that all customers are treated fairly.

Best Regards

LOL really stupid answer IMO emailed them asking if the policy will ever change and if they can help me do something about the problem.

Freaking APPLE you can buy music but not Apps with the card makes no sense to me wish they sent me a case in return:p

13. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

...I use iTunes gift cards all the time to buy apps....what Province are you in...?:confused:

14. dongadrew thread starter macrumors member

Calgary,Alberta. REALLY! You can? if so when was the last time you used your itunes card to purchase an app? Maybe you can walk me through the steps cause I might be doing something wrong.

15. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

I live in Ottawa, ON. I just buy an iTunes card (from Macs Milk or Walmart), go to the iTunes store, click redeem, and enter the code. Then I just buy whatever I want....I used a card to buy an app like three days ago...

Side note, I'm dating someone whos originally from Calgary:)

16. pjgeer macrumors member

Ontario

Could not buy an app from Itunes card funds in Ontario (toronto) either. I put a $25 card on my account (a gift for my bday), and got a message that I did not have the right type of funds to complete an app purchase. :confused: (I do know that order of redemation is free credits, itune card funds, then CC) I do have my CC attached to the account, wonder if I take that off, if it will let me complete an app purchase, will try that tonight.

Pj

17. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

Really? I'm thinking about it and maybe the app went on my credit card...I'll have to check me bill. But I know I've done it before. I bought Battle at Sea using a gift card :confused:

18. pjgeer macrumors member

Just attempted, on my touch, to buy Diner Dash (no making jokes) and the pop-up I get is "Your remaining credits are insufficient or inapplicable to this purchase." I have $18+ in itunes funds, at this moment, so the itunes funds are inapplicable? Diner Dash is $4.99, so........

Pj

19. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Is it possible that you can't make an app purchase directly from an iPhone or iPod touch, but you can make the purchase from iTunes on your PC?

20. pjgeer macrumors member

I will test this as well. I have done free apps on the Touch, but have only tried to buy an app on the Touch, not at home, so will test it out on my Mac :cool:.

Pj

21. dongadrew thread starter macrumors member

Yeah they might of just charge you on the credit card.

22. dongadrew thread starter macrumors member

Ok so I manage to get my card un redeem now but still

Apple should really do something about this.