iTunes causes Time Capsule to turn off, COMPLETELY

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AnonMac50, Feb 14, 2013.

1. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Hi, I have my iTunes library on my Time Capsule, and it works GREAT, except for one major thing. It seems that whenever I add a large library of music to it, or copy lots from it (like when I sync an iPod), the whole Time Capsule TURNS OFF!!! That's really bugging me, because the ONLY way to fix it is to manually go down and unplug the TC, then replug it back in to power it up. And that's annoying when you do it every 15 minutes, give or take. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    AnonMac50

2. JuicyJones macrumors member

Sounds like an issue with your Time Capsule. I had the same thing going but with an AirPort Extreme and a 4tb external and never had that issue. I'm now running a Mac Mini Server and have never experience the issues you're having. Might want to bring your Time Capsule into an Apple Store.

3. mic j macrumors 68030

Yep, sounds like a heat buildup problem tripping a protection.

Eventually, your TC's power supply will die from it. Happened to me. I now use an AEBS with usb-external drive. Same capability as a TC, a little cheaper, more flexible and if one of the 2 units die, I only need to replace that particular component.

4. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I was thinking of getting an external drive, put my iTunes library on there, then after doing major things on it, I plug it into my Time Capsule. The other problem is that there is no Apple Store in Kuwait.

5. drambuie macrumors 6502a

If the TC requires unplugging to reset it, it is usually due to the power supply tripping out on current overload. If the unit overheats, a component in the current sensing may change its characteristics and trigger a false over-current. The result is the same. A way to test it, would be to let the TC cool down completely, then start a large transfer. If starting cold takes longer than the usual 15 minutes between resets, then heat is the problem.

6. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

How do I get it to cool down completely? I use it for internet also...