iTunes changing drives help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toby Goodbar, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

I have always kept my entire iTunes library on an external drive including the library itl file. I have now upgraded to a larger external and just cloned everything over, or maybe copied. However no matter what if the old drive (un touched as of yet) isn't connected iTunes won't open and says iTunes library can't be found. Even opening with the option key and selecting the new drive and changing the media location doesn't work. After googling, I erased the music files and tried a consolidate library option to no avail.

Any ideas folk?
    I feel like the itl file being used by the current iTunes may be located somewhere else but I want it all minus iTunes app itself on the external.

2. RedCroissant Suspended

I've done this a few times myself and each time is the same process but just feels strange doing it. Since you have moved everything over to the other external, did you rename the new drive to something else? Make sure that both "keep iTunes Media library organized" and "Copy files to iTunes media folder" are selected in the preferences menu under advanced.

After those are both checked, navigate to the file drop-down menu in the menu bar and select "Library," then select organize library. That should do it. But if that does not, then instead go to the file menu again, select "add to library" and then locate your library and import. Even though you'll be selecting your entire library to be imported, since the location of your library is already set and recognized, it will only be syncing(sort of). Let me know if this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.