iTunes Choppy Playback

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DivineEvil, Sep 25, 2010.

1. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2009
    Hello, I'm having trouble with iTunes when I play music... When I crank the volume and it starts to lag... I've made a video in order to show you better.

Any help will be much appreciated.
  2. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    What happens if you play the music with volume cranked up to maximum and turn the volume one notch down via the F11 key?
  3. MacForScience macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2010
    The first thing I found was when I was having lag issues (mine included video playback) I had to delete the quicktime cache files then restart which seemed to clear up the issue.

I also would do away with itunes 10 I have had nothing but issues with it (personal opinion).

4. DivineEvil thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2009
    Oh I forgot to mention. That the OS was freshly reinstalled before I made the video, with the home folder from the previous. I reinstalled, because a Genius bar employee suggested that it might remove the lag... it didn't help...

Also when I lower the volume a few notches the lag still occur until I lower the volume to around the half... then it stops...

Edit: I deleted all the caches in the /Home/Library/Cache/ folder and I think it helped before I made a restart... When I restarted all the same... choppy playback on high volume speakers...
  5. DivineEvil thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2009
  6. mac88 macrumors 6502

Aug 7, 2008
    Boston, MA.
    Sometimes this will happen to my music but only if I am playing it over wi-fi. If If I turn the wi-fi off and connect through ethernet I find that the issue is gone. Are you playing your music over wi-fi?
  7. DivineEvil thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2009
    No. I play it from the second HDD I installed in the superdrive's place.