iTunes & classical music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by H-P., Oct 8, 2015.

1. H-P. macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I am currently importing a lot of classical CD's into iTunes and I am wondering if it's possible to sort the albums and pieces just like in the iTunes Store. For example:

Bach: Sonatas for Piano (Album)
    Sonata No. 1 in G Major etc. (Piece)
    1. I. Adagio (Song)
    2. II. Allegro (Song)
    3. III. Andante (Song)
    4. IV. Allegro etc. (Song)
    Sonata No. 2 in D Major etc. (Piece)
    5. I. Adagio (Song)
    Etc.

Instead of:

Bach: Sonatas for Piano (album)
    1. Sonata No. 1 in G Major – I. Adagio (Song)
    2. Sonata No. 1 in G Major – I. Allegro (Song)
    Etc.

I hope this is possible, because why using it in the Store only, right? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

HP

2. bluespark macrumors 65816

Of course -- just number the tracks. If you do that, it will sort by track number rather than name.

3. H-P. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I don't know what you mean exactly, but the only workaround I found is to change the "pieces" of the album into discs instead of tracks only.

4. H-P. thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly like that! That's quite a limitation of iTunes, especially for those listening to classical music.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, apparently it's been a problem since the very beginning. Probably a limitation with metadata.

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Classical has always been a nightmare, no matter which software you use to listen. You've got albums with multiple composers, orchestras, conductors, soloists etc etc. And the track labeling is inconsistently horrible, eg:
    Once you have a CD, it can take 20 minutes just to get the mess they make of track titles and other info into a shape that you'll ever be able to find the music again.

7. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Even with my library of ~50 operas it's a mess; for serious classical listeners it must be a nightmare.

I might be imagining things, but I'm sure that during the early days of digital music there were (commercial) alternatives to iTunes designed specifically to meet the challenges of organising and tagging classical music. Can't find any such software now, but I'd say they're needed more than ever: the editing of fields in iTunes seems to get clunkier with every iteration. And *everything* has to be retagged if you want any consistency, because the Gracenote database for classical music is all over the place.

MusiCHI Suite looks incredibly comprehensive, but is defiantly non-OS X.

I presume you've looked at a few of the results for https://www.google.com/#q=itunes+for+classical+music ? There must be something useful there!

8. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

They could've easily included user extensible metadata categories that'd show up in sort categories. Or at least a formal multiple genre/subgenre system. This stuff is not rocket science