iTunes Columns

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jelsoft, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Jelsoft macrumors member

I have about 20 playlists. I want to apply the column formatting (including widths and orders) of the main itunes music library to these playlists. Is there a way to do this? I cannot do it manually.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, iTunes remembers the column settings for each playlist separately. If you add a column or rearrange the order in one playlist, it won't do the same automatically for others.

3. Jelsoft thread starter macrumors member

Fantastic. Brilliant innovation, Apple. Not even a 'make default' option.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That might help some, but as all my playlists are grouped in folders, it won't work for me:

5. Jelsoft thread starter macrumors member

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Be aware that if you select tracks from the main window and then File > New Playlist from Selection, the new playlist will have the same columns as the main window, by default.

7. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

That obviously won't work for smart playlists, which the script does handle.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not if the Smart Playlist is in a folder, as mine are.

9. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

Well, if you want to get any column back to their default width, you can just uncheck that column to remove it, and check it again. From there, I just don't mess with the width so the respective columns across all my playlists are the same width. Of course, this won't work for the name column, since you can't get remove it at all.

Not a complete solution, surely, but it's an alternate way to do things.

10. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

Is there anything that will work with iTunes 10?

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You could take them out of the folder, apply the script, and then put them back in the folder.

12. RockRacer macrumors newbie

This seems real silly to me. I cannot believe there's not an easy way to make all the columns be uniform. I am in the beginning stages of getting my iTunes organized and I have tons of folders filled with sub folders with lots of playlists in each.

Uniform width would be nice, but I am mainly frustrated each time I have to manually add and subtract columns in each folder and playlist I create.

Even doing it manually seems like there's got to be something I am not doing right because there should be a better way. I right click on the column and uncheck (or check) something, then then the options disappear and I have to right click again to pull up the options, and keep doing this until I get it just right.

I know I don't need to tell you guys this stuff. Just seems like I am missing something.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Tobin