iTunes compilation sorting apocalypse

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by noahfence, May 17, 2008.

1. noahfence macrumors newbie

Let me start by saying that I've searched many forums and spent hours on google and have yet to find a solution to this sorting issue, even trying various AppleScripts to no avail.

I prefer to sort my music by genre. iTunes sorts all my albums correctly (i.e. maintains the correct playback order of songs on an album) when sorting by genre with the exception of compilations. For some reason, iTunes decides to sort music from compilations by artist name instead of maintaining the correct playback order of the compilation.

The best I can get iTunes to do is sort the compilation as an album, but the individual tracks are subsequently sorted by artist an thus out of order.

This is a problem, especially for electronica albums which are meant to be played in order.

I understand how to get compilations to behave by sorting my library by album artist, but I would prefer to be able to sort by genre instead of having to type the genre in the search field.

If anyone knows how to sort compilations by genre while maintaining the correct playback order please let me know how!

2. abraham12 macrumors newbie

Let me start by saying that I've searched many forums and spent hours on google and have yet to find a solution to this sorting issue, even trying various AppleScripts to no avail.

I prefer to sort my music by genre. iTunes sorts all my albums correctly (i.e. maintains the correct playback order of songs on an album) when sorting by genre with the exception of compilations. For some reason, iTunes decides to sort music from compilations by artist name instead of maintaining the correct playback order of the compilation.

The best I can get iTunes to do is sort the compilation as an album, but the individual tracks are subsequently sorted by artist an thus out of order.

This is a problem, especially for electronica albums which are meant to be played in order.

I understand how to get compilations to behave by sorting my library by album artist, but I would prefer to be able to sort by genre instead of having to type the genre in the search field.

If anyone knows how to sort compilations by genre while maintaining the correct playback order please let me know how!