iTunes "completing" some music early

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benmrii, Dec 5, 2011.

1. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Odd behavior since iTunes 10 and still isn't working in 10.5.1. I haven't found any solutions elsewhere so I'm throwing it to our community here:

Random songs that I have imported stop playing and skip ahead to the next track. It occurs at the same point of the song each time and, when it happens, iTunes' display quickly shows the slider full/complete, the correct end time of the song, and moves to the next track. The play count is advanced as if the song completed normally. If I open the file in QuickTime from the iTunes Music folder it plays without an issue.

I am also unable to use the slider on these songs to skip ahead. If I try to move ahead just a bit, no problem. Further on in the song it will skip backwards to a certain point, the same each time. Also, trying another suggested fix, I converted the original file (.mp3) to AAC, and the new file's duration is only as long as the original file would play in iTunes.

For example:
    • Original .mp3 track is 4:07 long and plays fine out of iTunes
    • In iTunes it consistently plays and ends at 2:26
    • When this happens the display quickly shows 4:07 (2:26 -> 4:07) and moves on to the next track, advancing the play count
    • If I try to skip past 2:26 it starts at 2:26 and ends
    • If I convert the .mp3 file to AAC using iTunes the new file is only 2:26 long
    Thank you for your assistance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like the original files are corrupt. Perhaps you need to re-rip them. As an alternative, you could try opening the offending files in Audacity, then exporting them again as .mp3 or .aac files.

3. glawrie macrumors newbie

glawrie

I have been seeing the same problem.

The problem persists even with tracks downloaded from iTunes Match.

If I delete the track and download it again from iTunes Match, the skip occurs at same place as before.

iTunes Match tracks play fine in other software.

Suggests something weird happening in the iTunes library file. But no idea what to do about it… :(

4. dknightd macrumors 6502

See if the wrong stop time has been set.

select the track,
    "get info"
    options
    either set the stop time to desired value, or, uncheck the box.

This might help.

Otherwise, try deleting the song from itunes (but not your computer)
    then adding it back in.