iPhone iTunes confused me......

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Dirtytrash, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Dirtytrash macrumors regular

Hi,
    I had a laptop from which I transferred all my music and other stuff from my laptop to iphone..... Now, I bought a new laptop without anything in my itunes library..... If I sync my iphone to my new laptop- will I be able to get all that stuff copied from iphone to itunes library ? I hope I will not lose any data from my iphone......

2. maricc macrumors regular

Pretty sure you can't move data from your iPhone to your computer via iTunes. I would use another program such as winamp (I used this in the past, might not be the best choice now) to move your music from your iPhone to your computer then import them to iTunes.

If you're an iTunes Match subscriber you can sync your iTunes with the songs you have stored in the cloud and it will download them all from there.

3. Dirtytrash thread starter macrumors regular

Well, what should I do now ? Should I sync my iphone to my new laptop ?

I don't want to lose any data( music, videos, pictures, apps. Etc. ) after syncing..... What should I do ? Please help.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

iTunes - sign in to same AppleID as on the phone
    Transfer Purchases

It's in one of the menus

5. Dirtytrash thread starter macrumors regular

My question in a simple way - will I lose my data if I sync to my new laptop ?

6. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Yes.

There are some programs out there that are supposed to allow you to recover everything off of your iDevice, but having never used them I can't comment on the effectiveness of them.

7. Dirtytrash thread starter macrumors regular

Ok ! You mean to say that I should not sync.... If I don't want to lose my data......
    Thanks for some information :)

----------

Oopps.... I have one more question :p
    I downloaded some songs and imported them to my iphone music library through bridge(jailbreak tweak). So, how to move them to my laptop ??

8. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Definitely don't sync if you have any stuff there that you didn't obtain from the iTunes store. Which for me is almost all my music, as I copy it from my CD's as lossless AAC's.

Try following the instructions over at OSX Daily for a recovery from an iDevice.

You will need iExplorer which was a free download for Mac or Windows.

Hope it all goes well for you. It's been a royal pain in the a$s for me in the past as I updated iMacs and iPhones.

9. Dirtytrash thread starter macrumors regular

10. PNutts, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

IIRC, Apple's support site describes moving an iTunes library from one computer to another and also using an iPod as an intermediary. This won't erase your phone when you sync to the new laptop.

iCloud will also restore the app data files but that is a broad statement and I expect exceptions to that.

Edit: Also IIRC, in addition to transferring purchases as dhlizard recommends you can backup the phone to a new computer, then sync which erases, then restore from the backup. Those non-iTunes synced songs may be "interesting" to try and keep.