iTunes Constantly loses files!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mustard Chops, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Mustard Chops macrumors regular

iTunes is losing the location of files at an alarming rate.

I have my library on a 750gb internal and it's total size is 462gb. Everytime i restart iTunes I have a stack of tracks or movies that have the dreaded exclamation mark next to them. I then spend 20 minutes re linking the files :mad:

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening or any potential fixes?

Cheers ;)

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Do you have under the Advanced/General tap the "keep iTunes Music folder organized"

Second, are you manually editing the names of your tracks on the iTunes music folder. If your doing that, that would be the obvious reason why iTunes is losing where the tracks are.

Other than that, I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone else will add a post to this to help you out more.

If you could give some more details of what your doing or exactly did to your library when this first started occuring that would help as well.

3. Mustard Chops thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not editing any names in the library, and I do have itunes set to keep the music folder organized.

I have not done anything to my library that should make this happen, it's so weird that iTunes keeps losing the link to so many tracks on a daily basis...

4. KFOG macrumors newbie

KFOG

I have been suffering through the same maddening experience for the past 2 weeks now. I just got off the phone with Apple Care (waited over a hour and a half just to talk to a rep.) and had no success what so ever. Now I (and support) cannot even find my some of my "purchased music". The only thing that I have done differently the past few weeks was to download "Leopard". Could that have anything to do with this? This is very frustrating and now I cannot get any help from Apple ( I don't ) Care/Support.:mad::confused:

5. Mustard Chops thread starter macrumors regular

You know it never occurred to me that this could be leopard related...

6. KFOG macrumors newbie

KFOG

Mustard Chops...I am curious, were you able to find a solution to the problem with Itunes and the lost files....if so please share?

7. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

This is suddenly happening to me also and it's just infuriating! :mad:

I have my iTunes Library (~130GB) on an external USB 2.0 drive, and the only thing I have done differently since this started, is install Leopard... but I did a clean install though... :confused:

8. Cloggsy macrumors newbie

This too is driving me loopy :eek:

I've uploaded loads of stuff from CD's to my itunes library (which is housed on an external 1TB NAS Hard Drive (WD Worldbook 2nd Edition,) in the 'Shared Music' folder.)

When whenever I 'Update Library From Folder' there are a multitude of dreaded exclamation marks - Tracks just 'gone' from their folder location with absolutely no explanation :mad:

This is getting so infuriating that I am looking for an alternative to iTunes :mad: :mad: :mad:

HELP!

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

It isn't…
    I had the same issue way back with Tiger.

The problem "went away" when I placed my iTunes library on my startup/system drive…
    When I previously had it on another drive, internal (Mac Pro) or external (firewire), some tracks would go missing for no rhyme or reason. :eek:

Frustrating.

10. Brightneon macrumors newbie

Brightneon

why don't you just reinstall itunes, select to create the itunes folder on the hard drive and, once installed, in the preferences select to keep a copy of your files in the itunes music folder. that should work...
    and placing files on an external drive may cause problems...
    so that could be the matter.

11. Cloggsy macrumors newbie

Yes, but surely you should be able to store your iTunes folder wherever you like and point whichever computer you like at that source?

It is the iTunes software that is at fault here surely?

12. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Of course you should be able to do that, but there's some sort of bug making it impossible, so you need to work around the bug until you fix it. Or you could use Songbird instead of iTunes, but the interface isn't as good and it's not very stable.

13. Cloggsy macrumors newbie

I've had a play with Songbird, but it doesn't rip tunes, also you can't import covers with it either...

You'd think with the popularity of iPods & iTunes that they'd sort it out...

Come on apple :rolleyes:

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its not OS related. I had this when using iTunes with Windows and I thought it was windows related because to my knowledge it hasn't happened on my mac (knock on wood).

It is very frustrating and a large part of my library that I paid for is gone and I dont know if its possible to get them back :(

iTunes REALLY needs a section to redownload all purchased music. I get mad when a song isn't in my iTunes and I click "Buy" again and it says "You already purchased this are you sure you want to buy again?"