iTunes conundrum

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GelatinousAP, Mar 12, 2008.

1. GelatinousAP macrumors newbie

I have been reading lots of tips and tricks for sharing iTunes libraries over a network, but none of them answer my question:

Is it possible to share two different iTunes libraries (that are held on a NAS) across different users accounts on one Mac?

I've seen some suggestions saying that if you log into one account, open iTunes, then log into the second account it will show, but this is far from ideal

Any help would be much appreciated

cheers

2. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

I do not have your situation, but are you saying that simply going to iTunes Preferences>Sharing and checking "Share my library on my local network" and "Look for shared libraries" in each user account does not work?

3. GelatinousAP thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, to help illustrate the problem i've put an example below:

• We have one mac in the house
    • All music is stored on a NAS
    • I have over 10k of songs
    • My son has over 10k of songs
    • I don't want his songs on my library all the time, however i would like to be able to see his songs as you would do with another users shared library
    • When i choose to share my library and look for shared libraries, and he does the same, they don't appear

Any help on this would be great

4. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

Is it possible to use the multiple libraries feature of iTunes? You hold down the Option key while launching iTunes and it will ask you what library to use.

Investigate the feature, and take a look at this thread, although I am not sure if it would impact you if you have no intention of putting additional files in each others libraries. Many people seem to use this option.