iTunes - convert all AAC to MP3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maavens, May 12, 2013.

1. maavens macrumors newbie

In 2005 I got my first iPod and I decided to rip all of my CDs into iTunes. At the time it seemed like a good idea to use Apple's AAC format (.m4a)
    But now I want to be able to use all my digital music in my car stereo which of course doesn't play AAC files.

So what I want to do now is to convert all of my AAC music to mp3.
    I do not want to have to re-rip 800-900 CD's, so my plan was to create a smart playlist, and use iTunes to convert from AAC to MP3 - I know this isn't the audiophile approach, but it is OK for me.
    However, I am not able to find a way to create a smart playlist based on file type. In fact I cannot in any way identify files within iTunes that are AAC format.

I really do not want to have to manually go through 1000 folders to identify file types - does anybody know a better way of doing this?
    Thanks

2. Julien, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

An easy way would be to just sort Music by file type (Kind) and then select all AAC files and copy them to a regular Playlist to convert.

As you seem to be aware you will lose SQ doing a lossy to lossy conversion. I'm guessing since it is for car use this is acceptable.

EDIT: You can make a Smart Playlist that selects by Kind.
    [​IMG]

3. maavens thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome - thanks, I had overlooked "kind".
    I am aware that I will lose sound quality with this conversion - but I'm OK with that. I just created a smart playlist filtered by type=aac, and it contains over 11000 songs - so a batch conversion beats re-ripping all of that music.
    Thanks for the help.

4. maavens thread starter macrumors newbie

Converting at approximately 3 seconds per song... just 9-10 hours to go :p

5. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Alternative action

Before you start that task, I would look at the possiblity of using a small ipod shuffle to plug into your car stereo and play the music from that. If you have two RCA female inputs for Aux Input on the Car Unit...For $4 U can buy a cable that would have 3.5mm male on one end for the iPod and a Right and Left RCA male plugs to plug into the car stereo. New music will be easy to add to the iPod, will takes seconds.

6. maavens thread starter macrumors newbie

Too late, all done - left my computer on to convert 11000 tracks from of AAC to Mp3. I bought a 64GB USB flash drive to keep in the car. It'll allow me to have almost my entire music collection available in the car at all times.