(iTunes) Convert tracks to 128Kbps on import

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleNewton, Aug 23, 2010.

1. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Is there a way to convert all my tracks in iTunes to 128Kbps without having the original tracks imported into iTunes aswell.

I'm picking up a 128GB SSD (going from 640GB HDD) and wanted to put a majority of the compressed/converted tracks onto the library on the drive itself. (similar to how I do it with my iPad).

Is there a way to drag and drop the tracks into iTunes and auto-convert them on the fly without having a huge lossless file and the 128kbps file?

thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

• Yes, go to iTunes > Preferences > General > Import Settings and change to 128.
    • Then select any item or group of items and select Advanced > Create MP3 Version. That takes care of any files already in your library.
    • For those you're importing, you would have to select iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library.

3. AppleNewton thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Well i know you can select them in iTunes (the songs that are already in there) to AAC 128Kbps, but I mean with an empty library.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Same way as I mentioned in bullets 1 and 3 of my post

5. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

That only works for importing CD's directly to 128 kbps * files. AppleNewton is trying to avoid importing large lossless audio files and THEN converting them.

AppleNewton, I suggest unchecking the "Copy files to iTunes Library when importing" so that the library still points to your (external I'm guessing) storage, importing the lossless files, rechecking the box and configuring your audio conversion settings, then Advanced > Make * Version... That way only the compressed files ever make it onto your SSD and then you can delete the lossless files from your iTunes Library (MAKE SURE TO "KEEP FILES" IN THE DIALOG) then consolidate the library to remove any trace of the lossless files.

:eek: *whew* :cool:

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could also use something like Max to do the encoding and dump the results into your iTunes library.

http://sbooth.org/Max/

B

7. AppleNewton thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

haha, thanks alot for the suggestions and explanations.
    Maybe my wording was a bit off or something...but yes apparently theres not a direct way to do it, like I can when I import songs to my iPad where it manually compresses them to 128Kbps AAC.

I'll try the steps you guys suggested and see how it goes.

I appreciate it!