itunes - converting Lossless to AAC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nycjdc, Nov 8, 2008.

1. nycjdc macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have multiple Macs - one Mac dedicated to the stereo where I have lossless files on an external firewire drive.

A second Mac laptop that I use everyday. To this Mac I want to add the entire library from my stereo Mac. So I thought I could simply attach the firewire drive from my stereo Mac, select all the folders and add them to my iTunes library on my MacBook. I've done this part.

Now I want to convert the files on my MacBook from lossless to AAC, to save space. In older versions of iTunes I could select the files in the library, and then control click on all the files and select from the popup menu, convert to AAC.

But in version 8.0.1 of iTunes there is no convert option, only a create option. This results in a second file created for each song.

Is there a straightforward way to add files to a library from an external drive and then after addition, covert all files to AAC from Lossless?

Many thanks.

2. BoBBo! macrumors newbie

You could use Max to convert all of your FLAC files into AAC. You can also select the tab for Max to automatically include the AAC file in your iTunes library so that the song and ID3 tag are included in your iTunes library automatically.

Download Max here

Hope that helps.