iTunes copy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tommyGB, Aug 25, 2009.

1. tommyGB macrumors member

tommyGB

Hi Guys

I am getting Leopard in couple of days for my 3 year old iMac. I really want to do a clean install. I have an external HDD. Do i just copy the iTunes folder on to the HDD and does transfer my applications (iPhone) and playlists? Don't want to leave anything behind!

Yes i've done a search bt everything seems to relate to time machine. Something which Tiger doesnt have!

Cheers

Tom

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Copy the whole iTunes folder that contains all these files. You'll keep your playlists, but I'm not sure if apps are kept in there.

Attached Files:

3. likeupskirts macrumors newbie

If you want better performance then I think you should make sure that your ID3 tags are organized, consolidate the library and then just copy "iTunes Music" folder inside iTunes folder alone into a new, clean library. However, this won't retain any of your playlists.. But the rest will work great.

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

No, you are right about consolidating the library, but you should copy the whole folder, itunes will appear instantly exactly as you left it. I don't see how there could a method for "better performance".

5. tommyGB thread starter macrumors member

tommyGB

cheers for the replies guys. Just to make sure I got this right.

1) Consolidate library

2) Copy iTunes library to external disk

Install Leopard

3) Copy iTunes library from Ex HDD into music on Internal HDD

4)? I am going to guess it will ask to overwrite? I say yes.

5) iTunes is now as was, perfect copy

Cheers for the advice!

Tom

6. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Yes music, movies, playlists and all will be kept, so I assume for apps it's the same deal, although I'm not 100% sure. Do a quick search see if you can find any more info.

7. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I'm not sure, but I think if you do a consolidate library, you might lose all the "get album artwork" that you got from iTunes.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if you've spent a lot of time getting artwork from iTunes, you might lose it doing this since the artwork isn't embedded in the actual file and linked by iTunes instead.

8. likeupskirts macrumors newbie

Starting over with fresh iTunes libraries means not having to deal again with the iTunes cache etc, which may have collected over 3 years. Even if you delete a file, the data about it will still be there, including old artwork etc which means more bloat.

Also, if you reimport only the iTunes Music folder and click consolidate, it will organize your iTunes according to ID3 tags automatically so it will settle everything in correct artist/album folders. If you have movies, they will automatically be put into Movies tab. The same goes for apps, audiobooks and podcasts. iTunes will cache only the things in your iTunes library, so no old stuff and no extra bloat. I do this all the time and it works great.

But, if you absolutely must have the playlists and the old iTunes preference files then sure, only replace iTunes folders with all that stuff in it.

About the artwork. You are right, if you use Get Album Artwork thing it will not embed it into the file. There is a simple way around that. Once you get the artwork from that option, choose the file with the artwork, click Get Info, click on the Artwork tab and drag out the BMP image somewhere to another folder or desktop. Click OK, then click "Clear Downloaded Artwork". After that, select the whole album or a specific song, right click them all and click Get Info again. Drag and drop the artwork inside and click consolidate. This will permanently embed the artwork into the files and they will not be lost if you move the files into another library or if you open with another player.