iTunes could not connect to the music store?

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Okay, So i own an iMac g5 and I am using it as a file server and a few other things. So I tried to connect to the itunes store but whenever I try to connect it says network connection not valid even though I am connected.
Any help would be appreciated.

Also another question is there a reason why media from my external hard drive is not playable? thanks (dvd rips)

92WardSenatorFE

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
USA
Are you running Tiger or Leopard? Also, do you have the latest version of iTunes? I believe Tiger will only accept up to iTunes 9, and I don't believe iTunes 9 can connect to the Store. Leopard should be able to run the latest version of iTunes and connect.

*Correction: iTunes 9.2.1 (on Tiger) will still connect to the iTunes store.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Gosh, I am running Panther! iTunes 4!
Sadly that won't do for iTunes anymore. You'll need to upgrade to at least Tiger and get iTunes 9. With the release of iTunes 9, Apple redid how their iTunes Store is presented and works. The iTunes Music Store does still work with iTunes 9 and will likely work with it for a few more years.

jbarley

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
So Tiger will allow iTunes music access, it really does pay to read these forums, I learn something every day.

wrinkster22:
sorry to have misled you. :eek:

92WardSenatorFE

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
USA
Upgrading to Tiger/ Leopard is a good idea, but not necessary if you don't need it. Hunting down installation DVD's for both will be a little tricky (or more so, expensive).

If this is not your main computer, I would recommend copying music over to the iMac after you've downloaded it from another machine.

To answer your second question, what kind of program are you trying to run the ripped DVD's in? I do not have experience with ripping DVD's, but if you ripped them on a newer computer, you might be running into compatibility issues with Panther.

----------

I'm pretty sure this is not the case... Unless it's only on G5 machines? I can't use the store on my G4...
iTunes 9.2.1 will connect to the iTunes Store on my iMac G4 with Tiger. I haven't tried downloading anything, but I am playing music previews on it now.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'm pretty sure this is not the case... Unless it's only on G5 machines? I can't use the store on my G4...
Acedentally clicked on the iTunes Music Store on my iMac G3 the other day. Had to wait a while for it to connect and show me the page, but it worked.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Hmm, ok, will have to try that tomorrow then, and make sure the MacTubes is also working on the G4.

You do learn something everyday. :eek:
One thing about iTMS on a G3 iMac, it must be running Tiger and have iTunes 9.0.X or iTunes 9.1.X. You'll have to manually install iTunes via Pacifist or via Target Disk Mode when booted through a G4 or G5. The iTunes 9 installer will refuse to install iTunes 9 on a G3, because it isn't supported. iTunes 9.0/.1 works just fine, except for some of the fancier things like iTunes Extras. iTunes 9.2 however does not work on a G3.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Sadly that won't do for iTunes anymore. You'll need to upgrade to at least Tiger and get iTunes 9. With the release of iTunes 9, Apple redid how their iTunes Store is presented and works. The iTunes Music Store does still work with iTunes 9 and will likely work with it for a few more years.
Shoot, so if I acquire a newer disc it would work?

wrinkster22:
sorry to have misled you. :eek:
No problem, thanks for your help

Upgrading to Tiger/ Leopard is a good idea, but not necessary if you don't need it. Hunting down installation DVD's for both will be a little tricky (or more so, expensive).

If this is not your main computer, I would recommend copying music over to the iMac after you've downloaded it from another machine.

To answer your second question, what kind of program are you trying to run the ripped DVD's in? I do not have experience with ripping DVD's, but if you ripped them on a newer computer, you might be running into compatibility issues with Panther.

----------

I also have a mid-2011 macbook air as well and all the music is downloaded, I tried to drag and drop it and it would not work. I was using VLC

Thanks for everyones help so far

92WardSenatorFE

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
USA
I don't know about copying music using VLC, but you should be able to copy the music onto a flash drive, copy the music to your HDD and then drag and drop it into iTunes.