iTunes could not connect to the music store?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wrinkster22, Aug 15, 2012.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Okay, So i own an iMac g5 and I am using it as a file server and a few other things. So I tried to connect to the itunes store but whenever I try to connect it says network connection not valid even though I am connected.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Also another question is there a reason why media from my external hard drive is not playable? thanks (dvd rips)

2. 92WardSenatorFE, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Are you running Tiger or Leopard? Also, do you have the latest version of iTunes? I believe Tiger will only accept up to iTunes 9, and I don't believe iTunes 9 can connect to the Store. Leopard should be able to run the latest version of iTunes and connect.

*Correction: iTunes 9.2.1 (on Tiger) will still connect to the iTunes store.

3. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

4. jbarley, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I run 10.5.8 and iTunes 10.xx and I can connect if I choose.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sadly that won't do for iTunes anymore. You'll need to upgrade to at least Tiger and get iTunes 9. With the release of iTunes 9, Apple redid how their iTunes Store is presented and works. The iTunes Music Store does still work with iTunes 9 and will likely work with it for a few more years.

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

So Tiger will allow iTunes music access, it really does pay to read these forums, I learn something every day.

wrinkster22:
    sorry to have misled you. :eek:

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm pretty sure this is not the case... Unless it's only on G5 machines? I can't use the store on my G4...

8. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Upgrading to Tiger/ Leopard is a good idea, but not necessary if you don't need it. Hunting down installation DVD's for both will be a little tricky (or more so, expensive).

If this is not your main computer, I would recommend copying music over to the iMac after you've downloaded it from another machine.

To answer your second question, what kind of program are you trying to run the ripped DVD's in? I do not have experience with ripping DVD's, but if you ripped them on a newer computer, you might be running into compatibility issues with Panther.

----------

iTunes 9.2.1 will connect to the iTunes Store on my iMac G4 with Tiger. I haven't tried downloading anything, but I am playing music previews on it now.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Acedentally clicked on the iTunes Music Store on my iMac G3 the other day. Had to wait a while for it to connect and show me the page, but it worked.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Hmm, ok, will have to try that tomorrow then, and make sure the MacTubes is also working on the G4.

You do learn something everyday. :eek:

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

One thing about iTMS on a G3 iMac, it must be running Tiger and have iTunes 9.0.X or iTunes 9.1.X. You'll have to manually install iTunes via Pacifist or via Target Disk Mode when booted through a G4 or G5. The iTunes 9 installer will refuse to install iTunes 9 on a G3, because it isn't supported. iTunes 9.0/.1 works just fine, except for some of the fancier things like iTunes Extras. iTunes 9.2 however does not work on a G3.

12. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Shoot, so if I acquire a newer disc it would work?

No problem, thanks for your help

13. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

I don't know about copying music using VLC, but you should be able to copy the music onto a flash drive, copy the music to your HDD and then drag and drop it into iTunes.