iTunes Coverflow problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KnucklesMahone, Sep 12, 2007.

1. KnucklesMahone macrumors member

In itunes coverflow, it splits my albums up into 1 or 2 song albums, and displays the same cover over and over. For example, my 20 song Jimi Hendrix cd, is split into 5 or 6 albums with the same cover. How do i fix this? If this happens with my touch when i get it, i will be mightily annoyed.

2. saperboy macrumors newbie

Make sure that all the related songs have the same album information. Check spelling and spaces between words. If any of the album information is a bit different, then that particular song will be treated as if it's from a different album collection, thus shown separately.

3. KnucklesMahone thread starter macrumors member

The songs have the same album information. Any other reason this could be happening? For example, my In Cartoon Motion album is split into six parts, and the songs have the exact same album information.

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you select all the songs, Get Info and click the little button next to "Part of a Compilation" it might fix your issue.

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Sort by album, not by song.

6. KnucklesMahone thread starter macrumors member

I am. I'm using coverflow. None of these fixes did anything. I tried to make it all a compilation and it stayed the same. In coverflow i see my Jimi Hendrix cd album art a good 17 times.

7. jockmock macrumors regular

listen:
    highlight all your jimi hendrix songs you want in the same album.
    Now write The Jimi Hendrix Experience in the Artist and Album Artist boxes. Write the albums name in the Album box.. That should work

8. KnucklesMahone thread starter macrumors member

Nope. Didn't work.

9. cornerdealy macrumors regular

before we go on, please verify the following information:

All the names in the Artist category is the same.
    All the names in the Album category is the same.
    The track numbers are correct (both the track number and the total number of tracks ___ of ____).
    The disc numbers are correct (both the disc it is in and the total number of discs ____of____).
    Part of a compilation box is checked for all tracks.
    Library is sorted by Album by Artist

10. KnucklesMahone thread starter macrumors member

All confirmed. Heres the weird thing though. In my library, when just browsing through the album art in cover flow, it shows 17 Jimi Hendrix cover art. When i type the letter "j" in the search it narrows the album art to 7. Adding an "i" makes it 1 album, but obviously its only jimi hendrix and other artists with a ji. While that is great, im trying to be able to browse through my whole library in cover flow, without having to type authors names in.

11. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

What I've found out it works is to fill the "Album artist" with the same "Artist" info.

12. aj123456 macrumors newbie

You may need to sort by Artist otherwise I don't happen to know.

13. aquafunk macrumors newbie

I have been having the same (very) annoying problem since Cover Flow was introduced. It drives me insane. I have found one solution, although it sucks. After checking to make sure everything is identical but its still spilt: Click and drag all the affected tracks into a random folder (likely on the desktop but whatever) and then delete them from the iTunes library. Then re-add the tracks from the folder and viola. Its a pain in the ass but it works. You lose any non-tagged metadata like playcount, star ratings, and non-embedded album art (downloaded by iTunes, but not saved into the file).

If anyone knows the (real) solution to this i will send internet hugs to you.

14. tarzan09 macrumors newbie

what you'll need to do is select all the songs in the album you want to be under the cover...go to "get info", then select each and every box under ALL the tabs...then fill in all the areas that you care about like genre, artist, album name, so on and so forth..leave all the areas blank that you don't care about, but make sure you have selected the little boxes to the side......THAT way, when you hit OK at the end, it will blank those areas on all the songs which will in turn make them all match...and therefore fall under the same cover.

hoperfully, that'll work..it has for me so far

15. aquafunk macrumors newbie

Tried that years ago. That is what everyone tries, hence the problem.

16. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i am very anal about my itunes library and i meticulously go through everything to make sure that this doesn't happen. i have about 10,000 songs and i do not have a single issue. here is what i suggest. some of this is obvious, but make sure it's correct.

sort by album

highlight the entire album that has the issue

work one field at a time - make a change to one field save and then make another change and save.

i think the only fields that mess things up are artist, album artist and album and disk number.

if you have an album that has a duet or features another artist, use the album artist field. fwiw, i use the album artist field all the time anyway.

even is something appears to be the same, the database may not be reading it this way. change the field to zzzz or something and then change it back.

DO NOT check the compilation box unless it is truly compilation. ie, a soundtrack or something that is a compilation of various artists. otherwise, when you use column browser, all the artists will show up in compilations rather than as the artist themselves.

if you do check the compilation box, make sure that every song in the album is checked.

if all else fails, delete and reimport the album. coverflow works fine. all my stuff is from various sources. you just have to spend some time with the metadata.

17. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I know everyone pretty much hates iTunes, i disagree, i love it, totally, but this is the only thing i hate about it. Always been such a chore to make it neat to look at

18. aquafunk macrumors newbie

Everyone and their mom has suggested this already. It doesn't work, seemingly.

19. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i'd like to trouble shoot someone's database step by step. i've gone through thousands of these incidents in the beginning and resolved them all.