iTunes CPU usage on iMac 5K

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chuckm1020, Sep 30, 2015.

1. chuckm1020 macrumors regular

Hey. Wasn't sure where to post this, figured I would here since it is specific to my iMac 5K. Specs are 3.5ghz i5, 16GB memory, r9 290x, running now the full version of 10.11. Its a weird issue. When I open up iTunes and click on the New tab. There is the featured section at the top you can arrow through & it automatically skips to the next featured album or artist. (Attached a picture for reference) It is very choppy on my iMac 5K. Every time it skips to the next slide my Cpu usage for iTunes spikes to around 50-80 percent for a second. And the frames are very slow on the transition. Even if I minimize iTunes on this page I can still see the CPU usage spike when it switches. I have a 2012 iMac 21.5in also. It is silky smooth on that device. Still running 10.10.5 on that. That display is of course a lot lower resolution. Wondering if this is normal because of the 5K and if anybody else is experiencing this. I have noticed it for some time. But I was on 10.11 beta. Was just waiting for the public release of 10.11. Installed that, but same issue. Any help or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

Anybody with a iMac 5k retina able to test this out? It definitely doesn't make it un usable. But confused why it doesn't happened with the slower iMac. Thought about doing an Erase & Install to see if that helps. Seems like a lot of work if that is not needed though. Thanks :)

3. MetalCores macrumors regular

MetalCores

Weird. I use a 5k iMac at work and don't ever see this issue. Did u have this issue before you installed the beta?

4. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

I just got the iMac about a month ago. And installed El Capitan beta on it right away. So not sure if it did this with yosemite :(. I almost want to go into an Apple Store and try it hahaha. I have heard 5k's being a little choppy in some scenarios. Especially in mission control. But have not noticed that.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

So you're here to ask about an issue with a beta that people here can't fix, even if they wanted to?

6. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

I did put in the original post. I am no longer on a beta. 10.11 officially came out today. So yah. I am not. And I never asked for a fix. Just asked if anybody else was experiencing this to see if it was normal behavior or not. Thank you so much for that help of yours.