iTunes CPU usage

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by designgeek, Oct 11, 2011.

1. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I'm having some problems with iTunes, the CPU usage is jumping around between 80% and around 108%. It's causing my cursor to jump around and not respond and I'm completely stumped. I repaired disk permissions and that worked for about five minutes but now it's back and persistent. I just upgraded to iTunes 10.5 and it's still a problem. I'm running a brand new 11" Air 1.6 i5 4 RAM etc. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Also, it looks like this:

Attached Files:

2. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Are you by any chance running the visualization effects in iTunes while playing music? Have you tried restarting your computer? You give lacking information..

3. designgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

designgeek

It's not doing anything. When I snapped that screenie it hadn't even been playing a song or anything. It isn't "Determining Gapless Playback" or loading anything and it doesn't even know about the movies on my NAS so it's not looking for them either and those are the things that really bog it down. It's literally just sitting there.

I wish I could give more info but there really isn't any which is why it's so frustrating. I'm currently downloading 10.7.2 so we'll see if that helps.

4. patfurg macrumors newbie

Me too..

I just updated to OSX 10.7.2 and iTunes 10.5 (141) and iTunes is now commonly running at 100%+ just sitting in the background (not playing, not visualizing, just sitting there).

I'm also on a MacBook Air (13" 1.7 Core i5 with 4GB).

It obviously impacts everything on my computer as even when FireFox is in the foreground iTunes will be sucking up the CPU and make it so my typing is faster than the letters are displaying in web forms.

Guess I need to keep iTunes closed for now.

5. designgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

designgeek

Update

So just an update, mine has cleared up completely. I can now keep iTunes open at all times, it seems it just had to work it out. At no point were any index processes running significantly and the music has been on this machine for a while before it started doing this so I do not know what caused this issue or how to expedite the solution but it does seem to go away. I hope this thread can help some people in the future. :)