Resolved iTunes crash?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LongDistance, Apr 21, 2011.

1. LongDistance, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

LongDistance macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll be upfront and say that 1) I'm still new to the forum and 2)while I'm not computer illiterate I'm also no computer genius.

Here's the deal. I opened iTunes last night and it prompted me to download the newest version. 10.2.something. So, I did. It was fine after that and only asked me if I wanted to restart automatically or manual restart later. I chose later and then just put my computer in hibernate.

Well just now I restarted my laptop manually and went to open iTunes and it tells me that iTunes is missing some of its required files and that I should reinstall iTunes.

Here's the problem. Me not knowing the ins and outs of technical stuff, I've never had to reinstall while I already had everything, only installed it on brand new laptops before. Will I lose my library and all of my data? I checked, it's currently still in all of the appropriate folders. Maybe I'm stupid in thinking it could wipe that stuff by reinstalling. Also, has this happened to anyone before?

Please excuse my ignorance and any info would be appreciated. I'd really like to update my iPhone as well as iPod.

Thanks!

2. Vizin, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. LongDistance, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

LongDistance thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, how would I export it to XML? Sorry if that's a dumb question. However, I currently can't even get iTunes to open. It doesn't go past the initial text box telling me that it is missing critical components.

EDIT: Woops, I just realized that there is already a XML version in my iTunes folder with today's date on it. Hopefully that should work.

4. Vizin, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. LongDistance thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, downloaded and it did actually give me the option to repair. Life is good and everything is there. Thanks for your advice!