iTunes crashed, damaged library nowhere to be seen??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by it5five, Feb 25, 2009.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I need some help, as I'm getting pretty frustrated trying to figure this all out on my own.

I recently opened up iTunes to update some of my podcasts. Since my MacBook can keep a charge for about 1 minute (I'm not kidding), it shut down while new podcasts were downloading since I forgot to plug in the charger. No big deal, I think. This has happened to be before. Except when I try to open up iTunes after turning the computer on again, I'm told that something happened to my library, and some file was renamed itunes library(damaged).itl.

Huge problem: there is absolutely no damaged itunes library anywhere on my computer. I'm missing about 2k songs, all of my audiobooks, and all of my podcast subscriptions. Where in the hell could the damaged library have gone? I've read that simply renaming that one and reimporting it brings everything back to normal, but I have no damaged file to do this with. Where does it typically go when something like this happens?

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

Are the audio files theselves still there? A problem with the library file should no effect on the music, audiobooks, etc. Just hold down option while stating iTunes and then create a new library and add your audio files to it.

3. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

That's what I ended up doing. It took forever but it seemed to work.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Get new battery.

I always backup the library files after making significant changes.

5. zuffox macrumors newbie

My crappy iTunes did they same thing, but without any prior crash that would cause it. I thought that the error message was regarding my lack of internet, so I closed the message - and now I can't find it anywhere.

I can re-add my library, but is there any way to recall my podcast subscriptions?

6. zuffox macrumors newbie

Sorry for bumping, but this is bumming me out pretty badly.