iTunes crashes but won't die & can't be killed - please help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mr1970, May 17, 2009.

1. mr1970 macrumors member

My iTunes has started to crash after a period of time (often when I haven't done anything) and, when it happens, I can't kill it using Force Quit, killall, kill -9 or even sudo kill - I end up with a zombie process which stops the machine from rebooting.

The library is stored on a 1TB drive in a Power Mac G4, connected with a SATA card. It streams from there to an Apple TV in the lounge.

I've tried repairing permissions and even taking out the RAID setup so that it's now just on a single drive, but no dice.

Any ideas / suggestions? Very many thanks in advance for any help!

2. Heath macrumors regular

Zombie processes are next to impossible to kill, you'll most likely have to reboot the machine. Shut down everything you can, unmount any drives you can save anything in progress and try rebooting.
    If it won't shut down, well.. I'd just pull the plug on it and start it back up =)

3. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

yes Protools seems to have gone zombie on me too just now, probably because I plugged in a FW drive while it was loading. One thing (being a windows convert) I don't like is that while hanging apps seem to be fairly rare, when something does stop responding, force quite only seems to work about 25% of the time.