iTunes crashing on searches

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Loa, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I run a clean (no add-ons or apps messing with it) iTunes 9.1, and since my 9.0.3 to 9.1 upgrade, I've had a lot of crashes when searching for song names in the column browser.

Is there anything I could do?

Thanks

Loa

2. scan300 macrumors 6502

Hi Loa, there are a couple of troubleshooting things you can do when an app starts to misbehave for no apparent reason.

Try deleting you preferences for that app and then relaunch it. In this case:
    com.apple.iTunes.plist
    com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist
    (if you are partial to your personal settings, it's best to drag these prefs to your desktop and add something to the name eg com.apple.iTunes_old.plist. If your problem turns out not to be corrupted preferences you can reverse the process to restore your prefs.)

Check to see if iTunes works on another account on your Mac. This will at least tell you if you have a problem with your app, or something wrong with your assets. (I have a spare account on my Mac just for these occasions.)

Check on Apple's support knowledge base to see if this has happened for others.

3. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Thanks for the tip, but resetting the plist files didn't work.

I found a thread on the Apple forums: it's a new problem with 9.1, many users are affected (not sure why not everybody).

The only way to deal with it right now is to put the browser in the "left" position instead of on top.

Hopefully we'll get a solution before 10.7! :)

Loa