iTunes - Damaged Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RealPolitik, May 15, 2009.

1. RealPolitik macrumors newbie

I'm using OS X 10.4.11 and iTunes 8.1.1. I'm not very computer literate.

When I started iTunes today, I went straight to copy some files into it from another folder. I got an error message about the .xml file and then told files were damaged (I think).

I think iTunes started rebuilding the folders but I stopped it and ended up with only 30-something gb of tunes instead of almost 100 gb.

All my music is still there in the iTunes/Music folder (I also have 30 back-up DVDs of the library), but I really, really want to be able to keep the Date Added information as this is how I view the music, as well as all the artwork I've manually added.

The iTunes Library (Damaged) file is there, as are several Previous iTunes Libraries file.

After a web search, I did the following:

i. Quit iTunes and copied the most recent "Previous iTunes Library" file to the desktop.

ii. I trashed the iTunes Library.xml and iTunes Library (with the logo) files at the top of the folder structure.

iii. I then dragged the copied Previous iTunes Library file into the iTunes/iTunes Music folder and launched iTunes. Should it be dragged into the top-level iTunes folder or where?

It opens, but with absolutely nothing in it. I've tried dragging the Previous iTunes Library file everywhere I can think of (trashing the existing .xml and Library file each time), but still no joy.

This latest Previous iTunes Library file is only a couple of months old and I'd much, much rather re-do the last two months music than lose the Date Added and all Playlists etc.

Can anyone offer any advice (which will be much appreciated)?

2. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

You could try going into iTunes preferences and find the location of the library and click the reset button next to it. When I was moving iTunes stuff around, I managed to end up with it pointing at an empty library which caused a bit of head scratching until I noticed it. Clicking reset pointed it back at the real one and sorted it out.

3. RealPolitik thread starter macrumors newbie

The up-to-date Library file is the Damaged one - I've pointed it the most recent Previous iTunes Library which appears to have worked.

Unfortunately I now have three months of music to re-add and categorise. Is there another way of getting back?