iTunes: Deauthorize old PC w/o the old PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keaide, Jan 20, 2011.

1. keaide macrumors regular

How can I deauthorize my old PC without having access to it?

My new (firrst) iMac has finally arrived, and after I authorized it in iTunes, it says that I have 2 computers authorized now. The Windows system on my old PC has been reinstalled, so there's no chance to deauthorize this PC from this PC any more.

it seems that you will have a "deauthorize all" menu option when you have authoized 5 computers, but isn't there a way to just deauthorize the old PC?

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Just deauthorise all, then authorise the Mac. (unless I'm misunderstanding).

3. keaide thread starter macrumors regular

I understand from some other threads that I only get the "deauthorize all" menu after I have authorized 5 computers. Right now, there's only a "Deauthorize this computer" option...

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

ah, in that case you're stuck. Should you reach the point where you need to authorise a 5th computer, you'll then be able to deauthorise the 4 plus the old PC. How puzzling it all is ;)

5. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

I may be wrong, but I think you can get iTunes support to de-authorise all for you by giving them a call. I'm sure I ended up doing that once.

I also think there may be a restriction for the number of times you can de-authorise all, so if you know there isn't a security issue here (i.e. you say you have re-installed windows) then you may be as well to leave it.

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

7. slowtraveler, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

slowtraveler macrumors member

I had the same problem recently--retired an old PC and re-installed a fresh copy of Windows XP without first remembering to deauthorize it.

I was able to re-install iTunes on that PC, then login to the store and deauthorize the machine without a hitch. I believe iTunes authorization may actually be hooked to the hardware identity of the machine (MAC address perhaps?), which survives the installation of a new OS.

8. keaide thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your answers. The link to the Apple support page reveals the following:
    Not sure if slowtraveler's idea might work. It will take several months before I can get my hands on that machine again, and it runs Linux now. Not sure if WINE supports iTunes (by then).

I think I will consult Apple support to see if they can deauthorize just the old computer. If not, then... well I don't think I will authorize too many machines in parallel, so there might still be some buffer.

BTW: Would and iPad occupy one authorization? Or is that "free"?

9. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

10. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I have fairly extensive experience with this exact problem. I emailed Apple support (through a help ticket on their support site), and they were able to deauthorize all of my devices so I could start fresh. Apple will allow you to do this once every 12 months.

11. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Does anyone know if there is any provision with Apple for authorizing more than 5 computers? Even at additional cost?

Within my family there are 7 machines which may want to play iTunes content at one time or another. The actual music files are stored on a central server. Moving the authorizations around to maintain only 5 active authorizations is difficult without using the "de-authorize all" option, but the "once per year" restriction prevents me from using that option as a routine solution.

I suppose one possible option would be to convert the protected content files to basic MP3 files which don't have a restriction, but I hesitate to do that due to quality degradation. :confused:

-howard

12. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I doubt that you are gonna get Apple to budge from the 5 computer, or the once a year restrictions. I'm sure you know that it has to do with Apple's desire to help fight/prevent copyright infringement.