Itunes deleted all my music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by newguy55, Oct 17, 2008.

1. newguy55 macrumors newbie

I just bought an iphone and installed itunes on my computer. I have always had a regular mp3 player not made by apple so my files were in .mp3 and .wma format. When I opened itunes it asked if I wanted it to find these files on my comptuer and import them. I said yes thinking this would get them on my phone. However, I did not end up with any songs on my iphone and now my music files are completely gone from my PC as well. I have searched for .mp3 and .wma extensions thinking maybe the files were just moved but no luck, they are gone. So what do I do to get them back?

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Importing to iTunes does just that. Imports to iTunes. It's not putting anything on your iPhone until you decide to sync your iPhone to iTunes.
    I think it's highly unlikely all your music is completely gone. It will still be on your computer. Somewhere.

While im here.. iTunes doesn't do WMA. So I doubt it would import that anyway. But neither should it cause everything to go missing.

3. newguy55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately it is gone, and when I tried to sync my phone its not there either. I have found others having this problem through google search but have not found a solution. Any other ideas?

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

5. newguy55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep I have searched itunes and my entire computer with the file search, they are not there. Before installing itunes they were.

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Well, I'd be stunned if iTunes actually deleted all your music, but on the other hand, I have no clue where it might have gone. If you get this figured out, let us know what happened. And good luck.