iTunes deleted all songs on my Touch !!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thornev, Jan 5, 2009.

1. thornev macrumors member

I clicked on Sync in iTunes for my Touch, pressed Sync and iTunes said there was not enough room to sync all my songs. OK, fine. Don't sync then. But when I unchecked Sync, iTunes told me it was going to delete all the songs on my Touch. I thought surely iTunes wouldn't be so stupid as to think I really wanted that so I unchecked it. BAD MOVE ! Now all 600+ songs have been deleted. All that just because I decided not to let iTunes sync my entire music library on my Touch??? I'm in the mood to shoot an iTunes programmer at the moment. And what's worse, now iTunes won't let me add any songs from my library to the Touch. WTF ?!?!?! OK, I see... iTunes unchecked the "Manage music manually" setting. Boy what a bad night for Touch and me !!! thorne

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

First of all, when iTunes told you that not all your songs would fit on your Touch, it should have also offered to sync only the songs that fit. You should have taken it up on that offer. I think if you go back and recheck the "sync" box, you'll get that offer again. And of course, if you were originally managing your music manually and then you checked "sync," iTunes will uncheck "manually manage music," as the two modes are mutually uncompatible.

In any case, there's nothing to be lost in trying out the sync feature other than the time it takes to delete and recopy the files, so I suggest you give both the sync and manual modes a try and figure out which one works the best for your needs.

3. thornev thread starter macrumors member

I don't want iTunes to decide which of the 2000+ songs to load on my Touch. I spent hours making those decisions. I guess I should have done a little more research before I clicked OK to letting iTunes delete everything from my Touch. Oh well. Live and learn... and get angry about it sometimes. =:)

thorne

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

On the bright side, doing it all over allows you to make new decisions during the process. Who knows, maybe you'll have something better than what you started with?

...still sucks a little bit, though!

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In that case, you might consider making an "iPod Touch" playlist within iTunes, and sync just that playlist to your Touch. I actually have an "iPod Touch" playlist folder, and within that folder I put a lot of different playlists selected according to various criteria, and I swap them in and out of the folder depending on my mood for the day. I've found it gives me a lot more control over my music than manually managing them on the Touch.

6. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Son of a B i t c h ! ! ! :D

7. thornev thread starter macrumors member

Now that's an interesting idea. I noticed that when I got my 2nd iPod that iTunes automatically made a playlist for my older iPod because it didn't have as much disk space as the new one.

If I make a Touch playlist, will it be obvious to me how to sync ONLY that playlist to my Touch? thorne

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes, you can also make multiple playlists and sync whichever ones you like. I have 4 or 5 playlists broken up my music genre and they are all synced to my Touch. This is how I did it as I have 30g of music in my library and only a 16g Touch. It's much easier to manage this way as you don't have to worry about your library growing beyond the size of your Touch and it's easier to manage which songs you want to put on there.

When you go click on your iPod and go to the options and select the option to manually sync it will allow you to choose which playlists you want.

9. thornev thread starter macrumors member

Great advice. Thanks ! I'm going to look in a book store to see if there's an iTunes book with these great tips. It was never clear to me that playlists could be used in this way. thorne

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You mean select the tab to sync music, then under that, select the "select playlist" option, then check the playlists you want to sync. "Manually sync" is confusing, as there's sync and there's manually manage music, which as I said before are mutually exclusive.

11. thornev thread starter macrumors member

Oh good. I'm glad you cleared that up for me. thorne

12. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes, that's what I meant. I was going off memory since I am currently at work. Thanks for clearing it up.

13. thornev thread starter macrumors member

I cannot figure out how to copy my songs from my Touch device to the new playlist I created. PLEASE tell me I don't have to choose from the base library AGAIN ! =:-(

Also, how do I organize the new playlists in my Touch folder such that on my Touch I can select categories such as Artist, Albums, etc? OR does that happen automagically?

Thanks. thorne

UPDATE - OK, never mind. I created a folder with 2 playlists and recopied everything over for the 3rd time. (grunt) Now it should be easy as pie. (famous last words)